Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Personality Differences are Important

I always tell my students that they are here to learn and I am here to teach; and if we have personalities that conflict, then we should not lose focus on our goals.

Personality conflicts (teacher/student or student/student) are absolutely devastating. It can shut down the class. We address these problems immediately.

The fallout from a conflict between two students can affect 50 other students. Most of them will tolerate the situation, but none of them like it.

Our teachers are counseled that a happy class will have a lower attrition rate than an unhappy one. I can't see the fault in that logic.

Neither can I, Stephen. Happy students are highly likely to support and encourage each other; hence, students experiencing problems, even personal ones, are not likely to feel so isolated that they drop out.
Satrohan

Our on-campus class sizes are fairly small; less than 20 students. I agree with Stephen that when a personality conflict arises, either student/instructor or student/student, it’s absolutely devastating to all learning participants. Too much class time is wasted on dealing with these disruptions! The drama that I see comes from close interpersonal contact, and that factor is removed in the online setting. I’m wondering is conflict really a problem in online class environments?

Amanda

Amanda:
I ahve no empirical data to support that conflict does not exist between studens and Instructors in an online environment. Conflict does exist among students especially when they have to participate in group projects.
Satrohan

No fault in that logic at all. On occasion, I've had some doozies of personality conflicts occur within group work. I usually try shame in the sense that "mature" students do not behave in this immature manner. It generally works with remarkable speed!

I will try and keep that in mind when there are personality conflicts with some of the work groups that I am on! :-)

I think you are correct on all points. I woudl day the teacher/student relationship is very important and can cause a conflict with the whole class if something is not how it should be. I see this on ground classes as well.

Hi Emily, what are some of the issues that cause conflict? Tina

Sign In to comment