Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Dealing with the disruptive "know it all" student

Occasionally, one student will attempt to take over the instructor role and correct all the other students. Does anyone have any tips on how to guide this student's overly robust enthusiasm to a more community minded approach without extinguishing their enthusiasm and getting your class back on track? I know a personal email can help - but what specifically could be said. I am open to all ideas. Thank you.

This is a difficult situation and depends on the personality of the person trying to take over.

I had a student like this and told her I was being paid to teach the class and eventhough I felt she was doing an excellent job explained I need and count on the money for teaching the class. She took great offense to this and said she will just keep her mouth shut. I told her how much I really did appreciate her input and help and asked her to continue helping but to also give me a chance to respond.

Another student was so insistent in taking over, I actually let her have her way and kept asking her to read sections of the book and explain to the class what she had just read. After an hour she asked if she could speak to me in the hall. She stated she needed me to explain the lesson as she was lost. I told her after she has the 45 years in the medical field as I do that she will be able to explain many things. This solved the problem and she was an excellent student.

The best way I have found to deal with the "know it all" is to have the tough discussion with them. Inform them that while you appreciate their enthusiam for the topic(s), you have a curriculum and course material that you need to move through. Inform them further that their agenda doesn't coincide with that of the class and this way, you are establishing a rapport of appreciation where no offfense should be taken. If the person does take offense, at the end of the day, you are the teacher and they will simply have to wait until they have achieved your level of expertise before taking on a class of their own. Hope this helps!

It is very important to address this student ASAP once this behavior is noticed. Delaying the matter only increases the problem. This conversation may be difficult for new instructors and I would also strongly recommend soliciting the support of administration when first meeting with the student on this issue.
A suggestion of what can be shared with the 'know it all' student is to present a hypothetical situation (reverse psychology) of where another student dominates the class with answers above the instructor during a course session and the information was incorrect. Then ask the student how he would react if the instructor did not address the situation and/or if the student then completed a test or assignment incorrectly based on the 'know it all' student response. Again approach this cautiously and observe the students personality before addressing their 'know it all' behavior so as to not increase the problem but rather resolve it.

I agree with your suggestion to include administration when dealing with a difficult student. It is always a good idea to give your direct supervisor a "heads up" on any issue. It is much better that they hear it from you than be suprised by the student.

Regarding the hypothetical situation, I think that can be very risky because you can never know how they may respond. Have you used this technique in the past and if so, how did it work for you?

The risk that this introduces is that you will quickly loose the respect of the other students because they may see you as incapable of controlling the classroom. The individual needs to be shut down in a tactful, and polite way. Away from the classroom is preferable in my opinion.

I agree with your assessment Nick. In an online class, how would you contact the student to inform them that their behavior is disruptive?

I think a personal email is the best way to contact them. Like others said, thank them for their enthusiasm, however make it understood that this is your class not theirs. It's a thin line because you don't want to hurt their feelings where they will no longer participate. But the behavior also needs to stop.

I am painfully blunt. I am polite but I do not sugar coat the situation. I state that their role in the class is to discuss, not correct or provide feedback. Should they have specific questions about what someone else wrote, they can ask me directly, but they are not to provide any feedback or critize another's work.

Sometimes being direct is the only way the message can get across. Thanks for your comments Trisha.

If a student is being dominating and makes a comment on every single thing I say in the chat window, so that other students are discouraged from responding, I have tried this strategy in the past....
I speak/email them privately and remind them that there are 10 people in the chats, so it's a numbers matter---that he/she should feel free to respond about every 10th question.

I haven't found this behavior to be frequent. On the few occasions when it was a factor, I tried to engage others by directing a question or comment to another student. If nothing else, it gives the disruptive student, a moment of pause and tels the other students you are aware of their presence.

I would say meet with the student one on one and make them aware of how are they are presenting themselves to others. Some students do not know they present themselves in this manner until informed. If you present this in a positive light they are more likely to accept this and back down to a nondisruptive manner.

Reaching out to a student one on one is a great idea. Not only will it hopefully address the issue but it will also show the student that you care about them because you are taking the time to reach out. Thanks for your post Heather.

yes I totally agree, being direct, clear and acting at once is very important. I have taught for several years at varied grade levels, different content areas, and different schools in different states,--- my point i,s yes take control back at once, I always thank the student, I do contact my manager & explain the boundaries that there is a time & place & rules of a critique--I may say this is not the time or place for a critique & repeat once again the boundaries of the assignment

Being direct, clear and addressing the issue quickly is great advise. Thank you for your post Penny.

I agree. Usually, these type of students are highly insecure, and in need of positive feedback and constant reassurance. They are more concerned with how the class percieves their knowledge, then what is actually being taught.

I feel one on one constructive criticism and maybe individual assignments may help boost their self-perception, and at the same time, assert your position in group. If you are still satisfying their needy ego, throwing them a reminder of their need to step back every so often will be much better tolerated.

Having to deal with a disruptive student can be very frustrating. Thanks so much for sharing your suggestions Carrie!

You might try a level approach--meaning, say to them "I know that you have a lot of great ideas and thoughts, but for the purpose of this class we need to keep on track. I think that it may be confusing to other students if they are getting direction from you. I set the course up according to specific curriculum. We really need to keep on the track that I set." This asserts your authority hopefully without putting a damper on enthusiasm.

Nicely stated Shana. It provides positive feedback to the student but also makes it clear that the instructor is in charge.

Sign In to comment