Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Attrition Management Idea

Some Instructors say, “People don’t leave Universities, they leave Instructors”.

Other instructor friends of mine, have mentioned the idea of colleges not only researching and studying why a person leaves a college but to also investigate why they stay. This could most definitely assist in the Attrition Management arena.

Hi Marcey,

Thanks so much for your comments. One study suggests that a major reason for attrition, one that we have more control over, is that the student did not connect with the instructor; and the reasons for retention were that the student saw quality and relevance to what was being learned and felt supported during the learning experience.

Jay
EL102

My college conducts an exit interview of each student who leaves before finishing the program (when and if we can get them to come in). It would be interesting to find out what the trend is for those who do leave us!

Who hasn't wanted to drop a traditional course because of an uninspiring, droll, or seemingly disorganized professor? In an ideal world all educators would be engaaging and responsive. I don't think students would necessarily leave the learning institution because of an instructor. Now, would they drop the course? Maybe.
I bend over backwards to make the content accessible and to create a comfortable learning environment. I still have students who drop (usually one or two). From the feedback I get, students generally drop due to workload or competing repsonsibilities.

Actually, in my experience students more than likely drop because of the instructor and even drop from the school because of the instructor. The reason why students come to school is to learn, and if they are not able to learn in the classroom with the instructors that they have been assigned, they will leave. I have also seen many instances when students are faced with outside obstacles but because of the positive experiences they are getting from their teachers in the classroom, they stick it out and stay in school.

Bottom line is that what teachers do in the classroom, whether virtual or in person, is the critical piece to the success of students. Without great teachers, students will not stick around.

I definitely agree with this. While the reason students leave or stay may not be totally on the shoulders of the instructor they certainly a HUGE role in it. I have had students who have been frustrated with advisors, financial aid, personal responsibilities, etc. The fact that I was willing to listen and be flexible made the difference. Had I been one more person to give them a hard time they may not have continued one with the class or the program.

That is terrific Shelly!

Conducting a survey to students that have withdrawn from a university would provide great feedback as to why they departed from the university in the first place. I would like to know, so I can help my future students stay enrolled and complete their program of study.

That is a good idea Karen, and I applaud you for wanting to know that information so you can better serve your students.

One of the things that I have learned about student retention is that it is never just one thing that causes a student to drop. In the majority of cases, it is the "last straw" type of situation where the student just doesn't think they can continue any longer.

I often wonder if attrition would be greater if there was another teacher teaching the same course. If a student doesn't have a choice between 2 or more instructors, would they be more inclined to stick it out, just because there is no other option?

Kevin,
Excellent point. Although the effect could go in tghe opposite direction. This might be a good dissertation topic. Thank you for sharing your insight.

Dr. S. David Vaillancourt

Sign In to comment