Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Preparing students for an online class

Ever since I have been involved in online learning, I have found there is a misconception by some students that online learning is easy. In addition, some students are not prepared for the amount of work involved in an online class. So, as the instructor, how do you prepare a student who is taking an online class for the first time?

Attrition Management Idea

Some Instructors say, “People don’t leave Universities, they leave Instructors”. Other instructor friends of mine, have mentioned the idea of colleges not only researching and studying why a person leaves a college but to also investigate why they stay. This could most definitely assist in the Attrition Management arena.

Online Student Motivators

Some ways for instructors to motivate online students may be to offer more interesting problems or puzzles to solve such as mind-mapping using inspiration, concept mapping, treasure map hunts, and so on with additional grade points offered as an added incentive to the highly intelligent student. Also, to motivate the highly exhausted full-time working student by adding humor to the discussion forums in order to brighten their spirits. Instructors can show they care for the success of the entire class by offering positive reinforcement whenever possible, showing patience, and offering the most help available while the students adapt to the… >>>

Online course structure

I feel as a current Master's Online degree pursuing stuent and soon to be Online Instructor that the Course Structure is very important to any successful online class. It is important for the student to understand the interaction required for online classes and how to navigate thru the course.

Teaching Seasoned Learners vs. Non-seasoned...Online

As someone who returned to school to obtain my Masters Degree, I see how important it was for me to have work experience in order to apply the concepts learned in the classroom. I went to college initially, fresh out of high school and didn't retain nearly as much as I did when I returned to college as a "seasoned" worker/learner. Now, when you add the ability to achieve a degree completely online, I wonder what will be lost from an interactive perspective. In a class environment, you are able to have immediate, if not always appreciated, feedback from instructors… >>>

Dealing with the disruptive "know it all" student

Occasionally, one student will attempt to take over the instructor role and correct all the other students. Does anyone have any tips on how to guide this student's overly robust enthusiasm to a more community minded approach without extinguishing their enthusiasm and getting your class back on track? I know a personal email can help - but what specifically could be said. I am open to all ideas. Thank you.

I passed the final, how can I not pass the course?

A student raises the question to you: If your final examination is 1) comprehensive, 2) reliable, and 3 valid, why do I need to participate in the discussions or group work?

New Student Orientation

I feel it important to learn as much as I can about each student on their first day in class. I feel it also helps them to learn something about each other and I really encourage good communication with the instructor and other students.

The Ease of E-Teaching

Today, everything seems to revolve around computers. The idea of gaining an education online seems to fit in with the times. You learn at your pace and gain knowledge you would never have if you worked a full time job and went from work to a school for training. This is the ideal way to learn.

Is it "safe" to promote face-to-face contact with students in an area?

It has been suggested that students who live close to each other be encouraged to meet and discuss class work and possibly projects. Do you consider this totally safe and what would you advise students who may want to try this ?

Course Length

When we leave the “ground” world of "contact hour" measurement, what other assurances are there to ascertain appropriate course rigor?

Engaging Learners

I perceived this being one of the most challenging sessions, but after completing this session I learned some great techniques. I guess I thought this way because I am always in front of an auduience. It is great to know that you can engage your learners without being in their presence by implementing a couples of easy stategies.

Attrition

Because I now student attrition is most important in all school environments I retained some key things to encourge students participation.

Andrea Williams

It was interesting learning an asynchronus and a synchronus online student. There were excellant stratagies in handle this type of student.

Getting Started

Getting started was a great introduction of this online course. It opened the course with some vital information.

Motivating Students to Participate in Discussions

This module covered a lot of good information for getting to the root of why many students fail to participate in the discussions. Of course, thinking the student is only interested in getting by is a main reason for not participating; but this module offered many other valid reasons. As instructors, we can design programs to meet everyone's needs. Carol Silvis

Understanding Learning Styles

I enjoyed this module because it is always good to obtain new ways of students learning. As an instuctor I'm always in the learning mode so I also think of myself as a student.

Personality Differences are Important

I always tell my students that they are here to learn and I am here to teach; and if we have personalities that conflict, then we should not lose focus on our goals. Personality conflicts (teacher/student or student/student) are absolutely devastating. It can shut down the class. We address these problems immediately. The fallout from a conflict between two students can affect 50 other students. Most of them will tolerate the situation, but none of them like it. Our teachers are counseled that a happy class will have a lower attrition rate than an unhappy one. I can't see the… >>>

Bergquist and Phillips

The names Bergquist and Phillips were referenced twice in Section 3 of EL102. I assume this refers to W. H. Bergquist and S. R. Phillips. They wrote about faculty development and motivation in the 1970s. I know Berqquist published a book in 1992. That means he was at least around for DOS computers. If they are still collaborating, I would like to hear what they have to say about online learning.

Teachers are the best defense against student alienation

This post is in response to Question 1 of Quiz 2. The question is: The primary reason for online students to feel alienated is: A Inadequate knowledge of computer technology B Unavailability of technical support C Absence of face-to-face interaction D Quality of instructor support The correct answer is C. I chose D. I understand that the lack of face-to-face communication is a problem, but it is a problem that the students are aware of before they sign up. Every retention meeting that I have ever attended has always focused on the teachers as the critical element in keeping students… >>>