Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

games

Good for high school

Yes , but some of the college students are young enough that it will intrest them.

love them, a refreshing break from lecture and pulls together all the key point in a fun way

I think the games could be used for any age including adults. Gen Y and Gen x are now adults and have very short attention spans. I myself would not use the football or baseball because I do not understand either game.

Kathryn, it is best not to use a method for which you are not comfortable, there are many more to choose from.

Michele Deck

I'm finding most students appreciate the break from lecture and will really get involved if a small reward is attached. I try to keep the competition friendly.

I have played a type of BINGO with my students. I will ask a question and the answer will be on there BINGO card. Once someone gets a BINGO then they can win a prize, often candy or something like that.

Aileen, This is actually a review or a test in a fun, low anxiety format.

Michele Deck

I agree with this statement. Students need a break from traditional learning & we as instructors need to find interesting releases for learning. I had to come up with a game withn no notice one night when I noticed my students were not getting what they needed. I made up a wheel from a round table & colored paper that had the definitions of the terms we were studying. I used a water bottle & it took on the mix between spin the bottle & wheel of fortune. Candy was tossed to the student who got the right answer. Since it mixed with all age groups it ended up working great. I kept this practice & laminated cards. You can play it anywhere & works in a pinch.

Lori, thank you for sharing your experience. You found a problem (that your students were not getting what they needed) and you met that challenge by changing your teaching method. This is the perfect solution to the problem.

Michele Deck

These are some really great ideas. I think I'm going to incorporate some of them into my class. Which ones do you find work best? Are they 'seasonal' like the traditional games?

Emily, I find if you model your learning activities around adult type games they are well received.

Michele Deck

This will be my first time teaching med term. I was a little worried because med term can be hard and VERY overwhelming for individuals who are new to the medical field. These games are great ideas and I look forward to incorporating them into the classroom. The last thing I want is for my students to feel overwhelmed and beat down by amount of work it takes to learn medical terms.

Amanda, it is satisfying to learn via a fun and active strategy and students then enjoy the process rather than being intimidated by it.

Michele Deck

The games are also good for first time college students that's just coming out of High School.

My students enjoy playing jeopardy to review for a test.

Sign In to comment