Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I'm all for fun

Any time the instructor can make a "dry" course subject matter fun, that's a good day. Of course, the fun activity must be age / subject related. Condescension is detrimental to a good learning environment.

Kenneth, I think it is possible to make any activity relevant to a topic, as long as the instructor has the right attitude toward using it.

Michele Deck

as an instructor i think it is my responsibility to make the learning experience of my students fun as well as informative.

i agree if you incorporate fun breaks throughout lecture student are more alert and retain more

Ondrea, thank you for stressing the positive effects you see from your students enjoying the learning process.

Michele Deck

Agreed, the more involved the students are or fun they are having. The lesson becomes more memorable.

Sarah, I wish everyone knew this and believed as you do.

Michele Deck

I truly appreciated this course. I was wondering how I was going to make this "dry" subject interesting and engaging. All I had were my bingo cards, which the students will assist in creating for the next chapter!

If an instructor can make learning fun and age approprate in all in lets have fun with our students

Great point Ondrea! Students are excited about attending a class where the instructor does not stand behind the podium and lecture. Incorporating fun activites increases their attention span and does help them learn the material. They also appreciate instructors who take the time to prepare additional methods of teaching/learning for the class environment. To help form their teams, I use different color dots on bright green stock paper that I've had laminated. Whenever I use the Hollywood Squares game, I have characters that are laminated to form teams.

I will agree with you Kenneth. The activities must be age related. But in general putting fun activities into learning is an excellent idea.

I always try to relate to something current like a song tv show or WORLD EVENTS AND etc..

Daniel, when students see relevance, they are more interested in learning.

Michele Deck

I agree Mr. Kornblum. In fact, this course has given me so many fun ideas for my class. I especially like the Charades and the Draw a Term method. I think they will find this enjoyable. I may incorporate this in my current class instead of waiting for the next round out students. I am excited, and will put my plan in motion this week.

Lisa T.

Abosulutely, then they will retain the information better which will increase the chances of higher exam grades. If we incorporate these methods, then perhaps we won't have Napjerk, Bombie, or Pezhead students.

Lisa T.

Lisa, this is the truth. Better attention leads to better learning retention.

Michele Deck

Lisa, kudos for planning how you will use these methods.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment