Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Short class periods, strict curriculum guidelines

The school where I teach uses a 75 minute class period. Some of the classes are pure didactic, with large quantities of pre-written material to cover each day. We currently do not have the ability to use Youtube or other unapproved content within the classroom. We use a regular white board for lecture material, and there is very little freedom, time, or resources available to implement alternatives. Additionally, we often have 30 or more students in each class.

What are some suggestions for ways I can appeal to multiple learning styles in a very dry, lecture-heavy environment, especially in a large group?

Raylene, ask for their involvement throughout didactic with review activities, questions, recaps with them talking.

Michele Deck

I too teach classes that are heavily weighted on the didactic side. I try to ask questions instead of writing on the white board

Jacqueline, variety is the key. Only teaching one way can prove frustrating for us and the students who do not learn that way.

Michele Deck

We have 4 hour blocked hours for teaching at my school. Our syllabus/curriculum allows for multiple strategies to deliver the content. Youtube is one of the strategies. Variety helps get in touch with the different learning methods.

Donald, YouTube is readily available and one can create their own channel for students to use outside of class.

Michele Deck

I have found that using the white board is more stimulating in my classes, both for me and the students, than just lecture. When I use the board for words, pictures, even lists, they take more notes and are more attentive. I'm not a good drawer, like to say my pictures are more infamous than famous but I've had students tell me they get more from them than they get from the book because they see the 'process of becoming' what I'm talking about as I talk and draw. Anything that draws their attention to a process or procedure helps them get involved in it, thereby helping them learn. My students typically starting losing interest after about 5 minutes without action, using the board or other tools. So many variables come into play. Yours may be more receptive to didactic. Just sharing what I do.

It took me quite a while to get to this point. I'm naturally more reticent but teaching has brought out skills and talents in me that makes me want to reach out in different ways and hope I can encourage the same in students when they're working with patients.

Dee, thank you so much for your candid telling of what the real world of teaching requires from great teachers. Please continue to involve your learners in ways that are meaningful, as you are doing now.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment