Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Remembering medical terms

I see my students for as many as 6 medical science courses. This gives me many opportunities to reinforce the usage of the terms.

Kenneth, it is great that your students have the continuity of having you as their teacher multiple times.

Michele Deck

flash cards are an amazing tool that seems to help with retention of terms and meanings. It is something I encourage amongst my students and it also causes them to form peer study groups to study more collaboratively.

Flash card do work well. I have suggested to some of the students to further break it down to multi-colored flash cards so that it gives them one more cue. Ex. All muscles on pink/red cards, bones on white, nerves on yellow etc.

Aileen, I agree that color coding the flash cards present yet another memory cue for learners. Thanks for sharing!

Michele Deck

I am going to try medical terminology BINGO cards. I announce the definition of the term and the student has to find the corresponding combining form, prefix or suffix.
Once we get past the basics, change the cards out for the whole word/definition.

Carolyn, thank you for validating that Bingo works for you and your students.

Michele Deck

I feel that flashcards and games really reinforce and assist in the process of remembering medical terms. Making it fun for students, even adult students, makes it more memorable.

Liza, I agree with you whole heartedly and have found in research and in application, this is true.

Michele Deck

Flash cards is always a great tool for studying .

Victoria, many instructors and students would agree with you.

Michele Deck

BINGO sounds like fun. I have done word parts with Jeopardy and everyone participates as part of a team.Some students love it, others not so much

I take the opportunity to re-inforce medical terminology in other classes - A & P, Pharmacology and encourage other instructors to do the same

Pamela, there is not one method that all will like. The question remains, "what gives you the best results?"

Michele Deck

Pamela, using the terminology uniformly across the curriculum reinforces it's importance and utilization.

Michele Deck

I agree that flashcards are an amazing learning tool and find that mnemonics work well also

Sue,even thought these are simple tools, they are powerful ones.

Michele Deck

I agree with you all, flash cards are a great study tool for med. term. I have seen students go to online sites like Quizlet and print out the cards. I do not find them as effective when they do it this way. Making the flash cards cements the med. terms in the student's minds, in my opinion. I love the color coding idea!

Duane, I love the color coded idea as well.

Michele Deck

I totally agree, I have had great success with using flash cards. When the students utilize them they do much better on quizzes and tests.

Sign In to comment