Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Appeal to the individual

Some activities can be intimidating to introverted students. If the activity requires a shy student to an open response, I believe this may be detrimental to him/her. I'd prefer to offer written activities such as case history presentations.

If there is a way for that student to gain confidence in their ability to answer correctly, they may eventually be more comfortable to participate in these kind of activities. Sometimes students are more at ease contributing to a team effort than answering on their own.

Toni, being a member of a team lowers the educational risk level.

Michele Deck

As a member of a team, the student can elect to speak out to the class or participate within the group and have a leader speak for the group. As confidence grows, the student may elect to be the group leader. Seeing a group leader receive praise and nothing negative happening is empowering.

Brenda, our classrooms are safe places to teach leadership, which is necessary skill for successful career professionals.

Michele Deck

Kenneth,

I'm sure that you could provide the student (introverted) a partner temporarily until they are comfortable to work independently. Also, the student may eventually "open-up" or possibly build a relationship(s). May be worth a shot?

I think that group activities can also help an individual "come out of their shell". I have students who were initially quiet and reserved in class, however, during group activities they participated very well.

Allysen, that is one of the benefits of using activities in class. Every personality type can relax in a less stressful and fun learning environment.

Michele Deck

I do agree that some students my be shy but if you offer these activities as part of the participation grade, then it may give them the confidence to join in to increase their grade.

That is a good thought Mr. Kornblum. Some students may prefer not to interact publically with other students perhaps out of fear or whatever the case may be. So I guess this is when you gage the students early on to determine the best fit as it relates to reviewing for tests. If unsure, I would need to start with a small activity to see how the students may respond.
Thanks for sharing.

Lisa T.

Sometimes, we will be surprised by who becomes a leader or spokesperson of a group/team. It provides insight for the instructor that might not otherwise become known to him/her.

Sign In to comment