Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

kinestetic learning

The idea will be so helping in explaining how a body system is working .

I agree , it is a great ideal.

Mixing words and actions help in remembering how body systems work.

We as instructors do use the macarena and teach pulse sites.... they get up up dance and learn, plus its refreshing and a change of pace for them.... breaks the monotony of lecture

I also use a bottle of hand sanitizer to have the student's x-ray to demonstrate the importance of having the beam horizontal, or waiting for the "fluid" to collect on the down side of a decubitus chest x-ray. they can see the difference in how visible the fluid is and how the level(amount) of fluid appears different if these are not done.

We also like to start the second day of each course by getting the students into the Lab and letting them x-ray the Phantom anatomy they are going to study that month, they process their films and take sharpies and mark all the bones and boney processes. The new students are always so excited to take their x-ray home and show their kids what they did in school.

Margaret, thank you so much for explaining to me how you involve your students. I love to see my students get excited about hands on activities, too!

Michele Deck

I like using 'Kinesthetic Learning' because it allows students to demonstrate verbal learning techniques within the actual physical demonstration.
(Cosmetology; Facial Manipulations Techniques - EPFTVE)

Kinesthetic learning usually adds a positive feel to the classroom, Life is too short!!!

When I teach cardiac conduction during the Electrocardiography portion of my Medical Assisting course, I use the "wave" to help my students grasp the concept of a polarized cell, depolarization and the repolarization process within cardiac tissue. I first ask the students if they have ever participated in a "wave" in a baseball/football stadium or have watched one on TV. We stand in a circle, and as the instructor, I represents the SA node. I raise my hands into the air, beginning the "wave" and then the action potential 'spreads' to the other students who represent the AV node, Bundle of His, L and R bundle branches and Purkinje fiber system. I explain to the students that when we are in the circle with our arms down that we are in the polarized or resting state. When we raise our arms, I tell them that it is the 'depolarization' phase and that as our arms are coming down, they are beginning the 'repolarization' phase until they are back at everyone's sides which is 'polarized' state once again. We do several 'rounds' of this 'wave' activity and not only do the students get a kick out of it but they also have told me that it makes cardiac conduction "come alive" for them in a way they can more easily comprehend.

Heather, thank you for sharing how you teach such an important lesson in an involving, creative and successful way. Keep up the good work!

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment