Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

encouraging students to take advantage of every learning tool available

first read each assigned medical terminology chapter, more than once. write down terms that are proplexing to them and discuss them, with their instuctor.take advantage of the medical flesh cards in the back of their manuals. let their medical dictionary become their second right hand and lastly, the internet on-line medical dictionary.

I agree with reviewing the chapters over and over, I do like the idea of playing games to make the class more exciting and to keep the students motivated. Making flash cards is something I always had students do.

We definitely use the on-line medical dictionary. It's a great tool!!!

Using online resources is a good strategy.

I encourage students to use the multiple resources available to them including the CD/DVD materials and online resource package included with many textbooks. These resources often include study tips for the assigned content, a variety of interactive exercises/games designed to reinforce key concepts, quizzes for self-testing/practice, and accommodate a variety of student learning preferences/styles.

These are great resources, especially if you show or tell about these in your classes.

I always encourage students to use their medical dictionary. I challenge them to look up a new word each day and learn it's meaning. The importance here is to learn at least one new thing per day in the ever changing medical field.

This also models what to do once they graduate and get a job and don't know what something means.

At the beginning of each new quarter, I encourage my Med Term students to create their own flashcards rather than using the ones already prepared that come packaged with the textbook. I have found students that make their own cards retain more of the information on them. The subconscious attaches whatever terms they are working on while writing the cards with events happening around them at the time. When the unit exam comes up, they will remember the event first which then links them to the term they were working on. Sounds weird, but it works. Also, I have had students tell me if they color-code their handmade flashcards, it helps them remember...using red for prefixes, blue for suffixes, green for combining forms, etc.

I agree, owning the content by personally creating the cards, creates value and memory in learners versus a pre-prepared set. Thanks, Judy!

I think it would be a good teaching tool to not only provide word search or crossword puzzles to the students, but to have the students create them as well. If the students submitted them to the professor for review then they can exchange puzzles or the professor could choose a puzzle of the week for the entire class to do. Accountability is fostered and each student will be critically thinking about the terms as they are fabricating a crossword.

aisha, you have a firm grasp on the value of student involvement and how to make the best of that for all.

Michele Deck

thanks for reminding me about the medical dictionary. I know all the students have them, but I have yet incorporate them in the class. I know have another tool in my box.

Sign In to comment