Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

medical terminology thinking outside of the box

i have found that it is easier for new students learning medical terminology, to think outside of the box than inside. for example: how to live long, answer:dilate

Funny and thoughtful idea...definitely out of the box!

I use the same method. I have found my students who are useing this method really have a better grasp on the subjects and retain more information in their long term memory.

Interesting, I would certainly have to work on that myself in order to assist the class. I do however think that this type of game encourages critical thinking, which most students need!

Strongly agree with the importance of critical thinking in the medical field. Can not be overstated. My games included Case histories and mock presentations which allowed students to actually think through the basic knowledge learned. By using the knowledge, it takes it from the "dry" learning and easily forgetable, to active memorization - different parts of the brain are being used. And in real life these "games" are the reality of the job. When we lose the ability to critical think, we become "robots" and that will cause errors. I have also include the case presentation as Extra Credit on Quizes - some are from real cases.

Randall, you are indeed a gifted teacher if you realize and focus on the importance of critical thinking to your student's success. Giving them multiple opportunities to build and use these critical thinking skills makes it more likely they will master it before they get to be on the job themselves.

I like that one, do you have any more examples?

Outside the box???? Outside altogether!!!! I would be concerned as to whether the students will connect the term dilate with blood vessels, pupils etc...

My question is how do they make the relationship work between how to live long, dilate and the actual meaning of the work dilate????? If I was learning medical terminology in this manner I would totally be lost.

My impression is Judith was trying to be funny.

I agree. I was also wondering how to relate the meaning of dilate with die late.

Sign In to comment