Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Critical thinking

I liked the idea of event cards to encourage critical thinking with some common scenarios they may encounter.It helps them making a fast right decision and judgement .Also the student has to have the habit of expressing their appreciation to the staff for the opportunity that was given for training and refrain from creticizing anyone doing a different way and the importance of being flexible.

This is an idea that can help students to think on their feet when they are watching the actual job occur. I hope this is an idea that is helpful to you and your students.

I agree. This will be a useful tool in our clinic for students and instructors to measure progress and how well students are applying learned material. Students often have down time and this is a good filler for those times that will reinforce and help them become comfortable with thinking on the go.

This is a great tool to build critical thinking skills and reviewing previous scenarios that are critical on the job.

I teach dental assisting I love the Idea of the event cards especially when they are learning clinical concepts.

Event cards can be anything from a small real world event to an emergency, so I'm glad this is an idea you like and will be able to use.

I have used this method and have great results from this.

This is an excellent idea of event cards. Normally on the last day of clinicals the DES will ask the students what they observed, was procedures followed or short cuts taken in passing meds.and are there things they would do to change the way things are done. Handing out event cards and discussing them im post conference is a great idea. This helps to prepare students to be tactful in responding to the DES questions.

Teaching others to critically think is a hard job. I'm glad this might assist you in doing that.

This is a great exercixe for exposing the students to real world and job scenarios.

This topic goes without saying it applies to all things that are taught.

I like this idea. I am teaching massage therapy and find this to be a great way to get the students to plan a teatment based on a few symptoms given in a scenario, in a short amount of time.

I'm glad you like it and can adapt it to your classes.

I agree. Critical thinking is sometimes based on the students previous experiences. So drawing it out for us all to discuss helps them to rationalize the experience.

I've been teaching the introductory class in applied respiratory therapeutics at our school.Event cards or clinical scenarios helps them apply the didactic information they have been studying. They serve as ways for students to integrate what they have been learning.

I think the event cards are a idea for students to be aware of surroundings and emergencies

kathy, this also teaches problem solving and critical thinking.

Michele Deck

Although I am not in the clinical setting. My courses are didactic, the idea of having the students discuss their favorite "vacation" them have them write down what they actually can describe the appearance of their partner sounds like something I can do.

jacqueline, please give this activity a try. You will be surprised at the lack of observational skills people have when not focused on seeing them, but on another task.

Michele Deck

I'm for any activity that will aid the students in mastering their critical thinking skills. I think a critical thinking class should be included in every major. These skills are a necessity in our professional and personal life. I will certainly use this idea.

Sign In to comment