Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

On the job skills.

Invite other students from different programs to participate as patients.

Real people make the best patients anyway, versus models. Great suggestions.

In our program use utilize this approach, combining different classes within the program, or students from different programs. It serves as a learning experience for all involved.

We do utilize now, were we have students come in from various programs it's intersting to them and helpful to the students.

Glad to here this is something you have used with success, also, Christina.

i often remind my students when they are performing on the job skills, to put themselves in the patients position. This will help them want to take their skills and job more seriously. I call it the "what if it was me view"

This is an excellent idea. It assists in building skills and can give students at least some small insight to some of the anxiety experienced by patients. Ideas such as this extend the golden rule even further!

This also helps those relatives and friends to understand wjat the student is learning

Ok … this is the scoop: We in the medical community DO NOT sell shoes. We take care of patients. Those patients place their trust in us, to make a difference in their lives. Place yourself into your patients shoes (not the ones to sell). I constantly remind my students: this is not a job, it is a profession. If you do not get it, maybe its time to move on.

Harrison, what a down to earth and useful way to make an important point. Thanks for sharing it!

In my clinic classes, we use the students as the patients. There is no better way to learn how to correctly move and postion a patient, than using a real body. Maniquins are good for other lab practices, but sometimes are not always the best option.

having "real people" will also help see what the patients are going through, not just the student.

Having other students as well as real people from the field itself, would help emensly to the learning process.

Christina, the real life examples and discussions make learning easier for students.

Michele Deck

This is a great idea that I also use for my students to develop their assessment skill. I like it because when a group of students becomes comfortable with each other they tend to forget simple assessment skills such as asking the patient their name and skills of "small talk". By having them do their assessment on people they are not as familiar with it gives them the opportunity to work on their skills in a more realistic manner!!

You can provide as many examples as possible, but until someone actually performs the procedure/test, you never know how you will handle the real thing. Therefore, be sure students are practicing on actual patients/volunteers.

James, I agree that simulating the on the job skills with real people is the ultimate way for students to learn.

Michele Deck

Students are used as patients in this school. The medical assistant have the opportunity to have hands on experience with real patients.

Yonne, real world experience is irreplaceable- the more the learners have the better.

Michele Deck

Sign In to comment