Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Teaching hands on Material.

What is the best way to teach hands on while using power point?

Once every 20 to 30 minutes of lecture, put a slide into power point that reminds you to stop and do an activity with the group to mentally refocus them. You could break your class into small groups and invite a one learner per team to do a one minute recap,or you could have people practice a skill for 5 mins,etc then back to lecture...your powerpoint should be your notes as to what will happen in class that day. Hope this helps, Nicole!

I try to hand out examples of what I am talking about so they are not just engaging one of their senses, but at least 2!!

Any multiple involvement of the senses increases the chance for learning to occur. Thanks for sharing.

One way is to stop after 20 minutes, and do a demonstration or have students do a hands-on activity. For example, when I teach head and neck anatomy and I teaching about the nerves, after 20 minutes of lecture, students will use their skulls to tape pieces of yarn and label the nerves I just finished teaching. This activity helps them to pay attention and retain the material better.

Thanks for sharing this yarn idea, it is terrific! Thanks for sharing.

I feel by using the power point while incorporating hands on increases any students chances of retaining the material. For studnets who learn by visual and kinesthetic they will both highly benifit.

PowerPoint is a useful tool if it is not the only tool.

These games, puzzles and group activities are a great help! It is difficult sometimes to come up with fresh interesting ideas to keep the subject fresh. I'm certainly going to try these, Thanks.

I usually review the PowerPoint first, review a few reassement questions throughout the PowerPoint and also take a few minutes to review the steps that are hands on. I think that at each step, take a break to demonstrate the Hands-on procedure, let the students do the demonstration and the continue on with the PowerPoint.

Vanessa, its important to get hands on in the mix.

Michele Deck

using hands on material through out the lecture is very helpful, dont just use them every 20 minutes

Darren,twenty minutes is not a hard and fast rule, but reengaging students as needed is the real guideline.

Michele Deck

I try to do this in my clinical skills classes. I lecture part of a topic using the powerpoint slides. After 30 minutes of lecture, I do one of four things- show a youtube video of how to do the skill (I allow the students to have an open discussion about the videos after we watch them), discuss real life scenarios (and encourage students to add their own scenarios), perform an interactive group activity on the computer related to the skill, or perform the skill with the students. I find students tend to retain more if they are doing more hands on activities. After the activity, we go back to the lecture again then perform another actvity.

E. , thanks for sharing the flow of your class, it is obviously workimg.

Michele Deck

Mixing handouts, power points, and group projects usually gets the students attention better than one long PowerPoint.

Tom, I agree. You would be surprised at how few instructors model this approach, only offering way too many PowerPoint slides with lecture alone.

Michele Deck

I have taught in the skills lab and combined hands on after video/slides or after demonstration. We'd go to the lab and perform the skills that were just reviewed. This works out very nice as it serves as a mini break and distraction from falling asleep during class time. Hands on allows them to demonstrate if they were paying attention and if they can retain information.

Students definitely like hands on learning. Having them understand that lecture is necessary before the "hands on" can be successful is challenging. Using the different games, you tube, and real life scenarios does help in making lecture more entertaining for the students.

Sign In to comment