Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Classroom Technology

Gen Y students really get into technology imbedded in the classroom. At my last school we had Smart Boards with full internet access. The entire world of information is only a click away.
The problem with Gen Y students is that they sometime have a hard time separating facts and fiction on the web.

scott,
this is definitely a challenge & an opportunity for us to be able to help them learn how to discern good info from bad.

Dr. Ryan Meers

The 1st excerise I give is to select a topic to bring the class from the chapter. Once they select they must teach the rest of the students on that topic. When the material is sketchy many have had to confess that they looked up the info ,but did not prepare it for the rest of the class. When challenged by fellow student the sketchy material presentation was abondoned by most. Gen -Y's do not like to appear unprepared. The internet material is often surface bits- not the details they need to present to the class. Usually by the 2nd presentation most have expanded on material from the internet or use the pictures to show details. & really read up on their topic. By 3rd presentation all students use a variety of sourses & the internet for the great graphics on their chosen subject.

Cleo,
I too have found that given time their presentations generally improve.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Very true! I find I am occasionally compared to a YouTube video and asked why I don't have the same technique as the YouTube guy! My Answer? We had a different curriculum.

I agree with your observation Scott. It may be to our advantage to investigate ways in which we as a school can incorporate more use of technology in to our learning enviroments.

Rick,
I was recently told by an administrator of another school that (he feels) if we don't incorporate more blended learning in the next 5-10 years, we will be obsolete. Interesting thought.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I like that idea. Technology is evolving all around us (and the students), but not so much in my classroom. Upgrades like that are not cheap, however!

Yes, I agree with the comment of they have a hard time determining fact vs fiction- I do not allow certain web sites to be used- I show them the "academic websites" that they are encouraged to use to research.

Deborah,
this is a great idea as they do seem to struggle in distinguishing reliable info from opinion, etc.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Yes! We present how to do a legitimate web search (find authored sites, look at author's credentials, use peer-reviewed journals, etc), but it doesn't seem to sink in. They're so eager to get information quickly and easily, that when they find something, they forget all about assessing it for quality of content. I find myself reiterating this time after time when they turn in papers with the craziest resource list! But at least they're willing to look things up, as a way to help themselves! I always like that quality- it's pretty important for everybody to be able to find info that they can't themelves remember.

Ann,
yes, at least it's a step in the right direction.

Dr. Ryan Meers

This is a HUGE problem with my students. Any Google search they perform results in the first response given by Google as "it". They also love to use Wikipedia as a resource. After several attempts to wean them from this site, I had to enforce a no Wiki rule. It's amazing the quality of information they are now presenting.

In my field that happens also, but its a good way to teach my students to be open-minded and that sometimes there is no right or wrong way. Use what you learn from me and what you learn from the "YouTube Guy" and see if you can adapt it to your own style.

Alot of times students will talk to me about different technologies they see and read on the inernets. Most of the time they have the information half way correct, but this gives me another oppurtunity to help them learn whatever it may be and understand it.

Justin ,
that's right & it provides a way to help them learn more about researching what's out there.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Wikipedia is a great website however information can be edited on it easily. So when searching the web or googling something. It is better to try to get multiple sources siting the same result.

Tyler,
yes this is a great point. And I think this also helps us teach our students to use thinking & evaluation skills in regard to information on the internet.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Very interesting indeed. Is our "industry" falling behind others in regards to incorporating technology? Definitely food for thought...

I like this idea it gets everyone involved and they don't realize that they have become the teacher. All the instructor is doing is facilitating the learning process and make sure it is accurate.

Sign In to comment