Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

students with disabilities ED 201

I have students with all types of disabilities. I find just learning a little about each one and what they need by taking them aside from the rest of the class and out of the view of the class and discussing it helps. Sometimes they are too embarrassed to talk about what they need and would fail before asking. If I see a student struggling, I usually talk to them on a break during class with no one around or after class and ask them if there is anything that we can do together to make their learning experience a more positive and successful one. Not all students are willing to share their disabilities, so paying attention to your students and looking for signs is a huge part of teaching and being a successful teacher.

Helen,
It sounds as though you are very "accessible" to our students (that is, you make it easy for them to reach out to you about their needs). They are very lucky to have you.

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I have dealt with my learning disability my whole life I teach my students all the same the way I wanted to be taught and they love it.

I'd be interested to hear more about what you do that works for you -- and them! -- Jennifer. I definitely believe that most instructors teach to their own learning style. I am a very auditory learner. It has led me to be a great lecturer (performer!), but I've never been much on powerpoints and handouts. What kind of thing do you do?

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I teach using lecture handouts and powerpoints all in one. My tests are geared towards all learning styles and so are my activities.

Jennifer,
I am sure your students benefit from all your hard work in preparation, even if they don't realize what is happening around them. I hope you share both your experience and expertise with your co-workers!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment