Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

GEN Y

it seems as though the number of ADD and ADHD cases is on the rise. I know I am aware of the fact that Gen Y is the first to be born with "technology in hand. Is there a possibility their upbringing in continued new technology or gadgets could lead to their guick boredom or distraction in the classroom?
That is why they are so fast diagnosted with ADHD?

I was also thinking about new types of addiction such as addiction to gadgets with changes in brain chemistry.
Yes I think Gen Y is easily distracted because of those changes.

Eduardo,
personally I think this is definitely a possibility as the technology does seem to damage attention spans.

Dr. Ryan Meers

In my opinion I think we as parents and/or grandparents are partly responsible for the increase in ADD and ADHD. We are too eager to please our children and grandchildren and give them WHATEVER THEY WANT. The other day I looked at my grandsons room and it was cluttered with toys, an IPod, Lap top etc.. How can he stay focused or even use his imagination with all that clutter. I remember when I was young all I had were some Match Box cars and a hallway to play in. I had to create cities, roads and people from my imagination, now all I would have to do is select the game with the best layout that best suits my mood and then when I get bored go to the next game. INFORMATION OVERLOAD... Is this why we perceive our children as having ADD??? That’s OK just give them another pill (Subject for another discussion), which I do not believe in, just engage them in activity...Oh, that’s right, I'm too busy right now..
On the other hand I don't think it is all bad, I'm amazed that my three year old grandson can fly through apps with ease... I can't imagine what his future will be like, maybe he will be the next tech genius.....

I wonder whether ADD and ADHD have always been around since , but that they are made worse by prevalent technologies.

This is a very interesting topic. However one thing that was not mentioned was the increased use of drugs/alcohol that has definitely affected the adolesent brain development as well as social and emotional development.

As a Gen Xer, I find myself having ADD-type symptoms while trying to work. If I have my email up, my phone next to me receiving calls and texts, and have FaceBook running in the background of my computer, I, very obviously, find that I am not getting much work done as I have a lack of focus.

However, I combat this by getting up early in the mornings, turning on my computer without launching email, reading FaceBook or the MSN home page for the major headlines. With all these distractions hidden away and my children curled up in their beds, I can get more done on weekend mornings between 5 a.m. and 9 a.m. than I can for the rest of the day.

I believe that it takes self-discipline today in the age of technology and instant gratification to focus solely on one task to its completion.

As a parent of two young Gen Y'ers, I feel it necessary to instill good work habits in them. When they are working on homework or a special project, the cell phones, iPads, iPods and internet (unless it is needed for the project/homework) must be turned off, placed in a different room, and then returned to upon completion of the designated task.

I don't allow the use of cell phones during my class time.... During labs, if a student needs to respond to an emergency call, I ask them to step in the hall so not to disrupt others. Also, I stress that their real life will be waiting as soon as class is over.

Renee,
it is difficult to strike that balance so they know we care about emergencies, but the social life has to end at the classroom door.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Technology seems to have advanced faster than the human brain.I see my students both 'numbed'by technology and 'overstimulated' by it. Flashing images that last only a second or two now seem to be the norm, I can never get a good look at anything anymore.

Not only are they distracted by the new and fast technology we all have access too, but almost taken by it. I refuse to buy my kids any video game or smart phone, those are forbidden at home. The other day I was in a restaurant with my wife and she noticed how a mother and daughter were on the next table "having lunch together" ... they both were texting on their iPhones hardly talking to each other at all.
A major issue is that parents are being distracted by technology too, so what can we expect from their kids?

Yes. I am a instructor and if I see that students get bored and frustrated if I say we will read out of a book. We must accept the fact the students today will learn mostly form technology

I just watched an educational video on this very subject. It was all about how over stimulated students are today. Student’s now days are more stimulated than ever! They have video games, television, iphones, facebook, twitter, email. Etc., and then we expect them to sit in a classroom and be still while we talk to them hour on end. If the students are not able to do this we start wondering if they are hyperactive or have ADD. As instructors and teachers we have to start looking at education completely different. We have to make the classroom environment more interactive so that students want to learn. This generation responds well to use of technology when learning and being hands on. They do not respond well to sitting in a chair and listening to a teacher talk at them.

Sign In to comment