Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Setting Technology Policies

At our school, all syllabi specify no cell phone use during class. Now, as we are a culinary school-this makes sense. Even though I don't teach in a culinary lab, but in an academic class I follow the policy carefully. I tell students I expect (and enforce) them NOT to be on their cell phones (no texting, game playing, etc). They can use them during the break, etc. Yes, they like to be connected. I would like to wear my pajamas to school....but being an adult requires you to adjust. I get this generation is "connected" through their technology, but as teachers we need to impose expectations on students so they learn to become professional.

I agree, we do not allow phones in class and the computer use is for learining the subject matter only. We tell them that if they are caught on an unapproved site, that they will be sent home for the day. This is reflective of the real world and how it works. who gets paid to be on Facebook at work? The studetn must learn to use the technology at the appropriate time. They must control it, not the other way raound.

Summer,
technology accessibilty has to be carefully monitored. I understand some colleges are moving to the drastic measure of no laptops in class. In defense a little of this generation, I spent 6 years in the corporate training & development environment & those baby boomer managers are just as bad as the Gen Y students when it comes to smartphone addictions.

Dr. Ryan Meers

After 30 years working in the field and 8 years teaching I know what it is like in the real world. The owner of the busness you are working at is the boss and in most places a cell phone is not allowed to be used when you are on the clock. I believe we need to make sure a student understands that cell phone use in the work place in most cases is not permeted.. This is hard for them to understand because they have a hard time going 45 min. without looking at it.

As I was reading this post I looked up and through the window of another instructors class, I see a student texting on a cell phone out of sight of the instructor. I open an inner office memo to the instructor and Inform him of the situation. Problem solved the student is downgraded on his professionalism performance in that class. So I guess the I T sysetm can work both ways. it can be useful or a deterant to learning

Some students seem almost offended when I ask them to put away their phones. this is how deep their need is. Clear and even inforcement of policy is the only way stop this. If you give in once, you have lost.

I work at a tech school that doesnt allow cell phone usage,but we allow then bring them in the school, which constantly turn into a hassle,because they are constantly on them. We are talking about 18-20 year old people that would rather use there phone than pass a class! And if we let them they would wear pajamas,we have had male and female students show up with 12 inch hole ripped in the crouch of there pants and say they cant afford new pants because they had to buy a new phone or other electronic games.It just proves that they cant live without a phone

I think having a clear written policy on the use of technology should be distributed to every new student. Guidelines should be mentioned stating when students can and cannot use cell phones along with consequences for not following the policy. I agree that we as teachers need to expect students to demonstrate professionalism and how it will help them succeed in the workplace, not whether they are good at using their cell phones. True most jobs involve the use of computers, and other forms of technology, but the Gen Yers are lost without them.

Sad to say but that is exactly what I noticed with my gen-y. Always staying connected with their friends even in the bathroom.

I also work at a tech school with a no cell phone use in class rule which is constantly challenged by the students. I understand the importance of electronics to the gen Y student, but it is to the point that it is an addiction. To me it is very sad that If I were to text a lecture or questions to the students I would get a quicker response than asking.

Craig,
yes, we have to help them understand that they can live without their cells.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I clearly state no cell phone use during class but of course they keep their phones between their legs texting throughout the class. I remind them to turn their phones on silent or vibrate. Later during class I hear a ring tone going off while I'm lecturing. How rude and disrespectful. Technology can be a great tool if used properly but it can also destroy a students ability to learn if misused.

Summer I couldn't agree with you more. We had another instructor to try this action of giving the students a specific amount of time in class to look up something pertaining to their curriculum to see what info they could come up with. It worked out great for the most of them but we still have to understand that there are still rules and regulations to comply with. The problem is letting them do this in the class room and then downgrade them professionally when they're on the phones when they're not supposed to be. We must draw a line somewhere.

Irving,
yes & unfortunately I often found these same behaviors in the adults I trained in the corporate setting.

Dr. Ryan Meers

We too do not allow cell phone use in class and there is not a day that goes by that I do not catch someone on their phone in my class or in another class. The initial discipline is a reduction in grade that most students scoff at and some have said it was worth it. It seems that they are willing to stay connected regardless of the discipline.
We have sent students home and have even attandance failed them, yet they continue to disregard the policy.

Michael,
unfortunately this is where we have to say, "I cannot want your education for you more than you do."

Dr. Ryan Meers

We also have a strict policy of no cell phones, but I have found that I need to be somewhat lax in order to get everyone to "buy in." I tell students no texting, etc while I am lecturing or while they are in production (I am a culinary instructor). However, I make sure to give them breaks to check their phones and always tell them if they are expecting an important call, please step into the hall. For the most part this has cut down on violations - but of course I have the occasional lap texter.

Jennifer,
I think this demonstrates a good flexibility on your part & hopefully helps with some of the violations.

Dr. Ryan Meers

My tech school also forbids the use of cells during class, but it does not bother them, they would rather miss time in class than to be disconnected from their peers.

willy,
I think this is what is most frightening to me; many students are willing to sacrifice education, money, etc just for the techie fix.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sign In to comment