Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Cell phones in schools

I have seen both sides of this argument. I know a teacher that allows his students to use their cell phones for research, sending in homework, and even completing internet based quizzes. My experience has been that although there may be some legitimate uses of cell phones at school, the students lack the maturity to stay off of the social networks, face book, u-tube, games or all the other time wasters to be deemed as an effective tool. Ultimately, it will become just another distraction to the student and a disciplinary issue for the teacher to deal with.

I agree with your post - cell phones have their use, however, should not be the primary technology used in the classroom. It becomes to easy to cheat or share answers when students are permitted to use the cell phone during tests. I wonder how their future employers are going to view constant use of the cell phone in lieu of getting their work done. I have a hard time believing that every job will permit constant use during working hours.

scott,
it really is a matter of maturity. Although I've known some boomers who seem to struggle with the same issue.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I'm in total agreement. I teach at an automotive training school. It’s my job to help my students get a job and keep that job. Most employers want their employees to pay attention to their work. Do you want the person that’s working on your brakes talking to their buddies or paying attention to the job at hand? What about the one that’s working on that plane your about to get on.

I do not agree with Cell Phone use in schools due to the distraction factor. Most students even if they are 21 years of age are so dependent on or addicted to having that Cell Phone in their hand that other students that see them have the urge to pull theirs out as well causing for lots of disciplinary issues for the instructor.

While it is true that a lot of Gen Y students are tied to their smart phones they can relate to a policy of no phone use during class time if it is presented properly at start of course session. I guess I am a digital immigrant in that I embrace technology to an extent. My experience is based on actions of the instructor. Some are as bad as the students in that they don"t see anything wrong with replying to a text or e-mail during class. Students see this and think it is therefore ok to do it also. Set the example for the students by ignoring those interuptions during class and the students in MOST cases will follow that lead.

Douglas,
we definitely have to keep our students' future career paths in mind as we consider allowing cell phone use or not.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Robert,
great point! I often will leave my phone in my office or at least put away well out of sight during class & encourage the students to do the same.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I beleive we need to set a standard of expectation with our students. There is nothing more rude and distracting as a cell phone ringing during a graduation ceremony or church. I have coached adults (non students)on the use of texting during presentations. It is very unprofessional and disrepectful to the presenter. The cell phone is a tool, not a right to use. We owe it to this generation to teach them life skills that will help them in the real world. People become oblivious to their surroundings when they are focused on talking or texting. I've seen students walking down the hallways texting and walk right into a wall. Is this the expectations we want of the employee of the future?

I totally agree that cell phones are more of a distraction in the classroom than a helpful tool.They are an addiction and should be turned off when in class. The point about future employers not allowing this in the work place is also valid . A lot of employers would get rid of someone who can not stay off of the phone because of the liabilities brought up such as a brake job being done while a phone is stuck in your ear and you forget to tighten a caliper bolt or wheel.

one of the problems with cell phone use is that students will pay more attention to their means of being connected than paying attention to the material being presented and when called on they can't answers a question that is asked. we also need to instruct gen y that cell phone usage in the work place can have unfavorable results

I have to agree with Scott because from what I've seen, it's way too easy for the students to get distracted with the availability of the social network right there in front of them. It takes a lot of self-discipline to avoid getting pulled into the distraction when it's so easily accessible, and many students lack that amount of self-discipline.

Tim,
I agree that we need to be helping them with this & that means we need to be setting the example. I've seen plenty of "adults" of other generations who are as bad or worse than Gen Y.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Communication has and always will be the key to success in life and career. When the GenYers can learn to differentiate between the two will be the first step to adulthood.

i wish they would go away but i know there here to stay i try to adjust to there needs

david,
I agree that we need to realize this is part of modern society & we need to adjust accordingly.

Dr. Ryan Meers

I've had to "outlaw" phones during exams because of cheating. I get a lot of whining and crying, but by the third test, after having to wait until a calculator becomes available, they understand that I'm serious and they actually bring calculators. They put a lot of pressure on me (to no avail) to get me to change the rules I explained Day 1. But if you aren't consistent, they don't trust you. It's harder when their last instructor let them get away with all sorts of things, too.

Agreed. We have a no visible phone policy and students will earn an F if the instructor spots a phone within reach of the student while taking exams.Once in a while we will have the expectant father or someone with a loved one who is ill, but it is rare. consistancy is key though, I agree.

Agreed. We're here to instruct on a particular subject. "Cell phone etiquette" isn't on the syllabus! It becomes too much of a distraction, so they need to be put away.

I don't mind technology in the classroom. In fact, I wish we had computers in every room so students could do research (that would restrict social network sites and games). It would be easier to control and still satisfy the students need for technology.

Theresa,
I think the key is demonstrating that understanding (like with the expectant father) but being consistent with all the others.

Dr. Ryan Meers

Sign In to comment