Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

TO CONNECT OR NOT TO CONNECT....

Generation "Y" may be too involved with the connectivity issue. If there was a cyber attack, we would all suffer with banks, ATMs, debut cards, etc. going down for a period of time. How would Generation "Y's" react though?

Would Baby Boomers and Veterans know better how to react and survive, because they have lived without technology before? Does electronic connectiveness alter survival skills, because of dependence on the "device?"

Hopefully, this scenario would not happen, but it is an interesting hypothetical one.

Judging from the reactions of my Grand-children when they are asked to not text during "family time" or put their cell phones away or not to get on "Facebook" I would guess that Gen Y would be totally lost. It seems as if they can't function without being "connected" to their friends.

Nancy,
it really is & I think one that could be discussed in a class with Gen Yers (if the subject matter is appropriate). What would they do? We celebrate the use of technology to respond to disasters such as the earthquake in Haiti, but what if the disaster affected technology? Good question!

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I'm going to open up a discussion with my students - most of whom are Gen Yers - concerning why they feel they need to be in "constant communication." I'm very curious to hear their responses and will report back to the forum.

I am really enjoying this class! I believe it should be required for all instructors.

Thanks, Shelia

i dont think they would be lost.. Gen. Y enjoys there technology but I dont feel like they rely on it for survival. Family dinner time, is a different story.

You make some valid points! I think that Gen Y would suffer the most, as they need to be able to function without machines. Baby boomers I think would be able to handle such situations with greater ease.

We underestimate the resilience of Generation Y. These are people that think outside the box...
I have been intrigued throughout this course, why are we questioning their ability to interact with others, muti-task, and survive... all without the use of technology!

Rosa,
I agree that they are very resourceful. I think many instructors would like to see that resourcefulness now without being forced to lose technology.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment