Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Boomer teaching X & Y students

What a difference in teaching styles from when I was in school and how school is taught now. The thing that drives me crazy is how the school is blamed for everything. The parents and students don't want to take responsibility for failure. This country spends way to much on education to be turning out so many inept graduates. Just push Johnny along so he doesn't feel bad and what ever you do don't fail him. It might hinder his development.
I'm an instructor at a tech school and people here are always blaming the public schools for the poor quality of students who attend here. I was also a soccer coach in HS and college and many of my players came from public schools and were getting 1500+ on their SAT's.
Trying to understand their mind set is very puzzling!!!!!

Lauren,
you have touched on a huge issue & one that could be discussed for a very long time. There does seem to be a lack of ownership by both students & parents. The best we can do is to continue to push.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I am 66 and have been teaching on a college level--part time--since 1985. Yes some students do not take responsibility for their success or failure BUT the instructor can be key in bringing a sense of participation and ownership to the student in the classroom. I do not suggest that the instructor become a "parent" but rather the instructor demonstrates the importance of the subject they are teaching to the student, in terms of their future success. It is critical to engage the student and demonstrate the skills they will need in the work place. Also Gens X & Y do not believe they will "have it better" than their parents. So an instructor needs to reaffirm that knowledge and responsibility are key to their future and professional opportunities.

Marykay,
this is an excellent point. While general characteristics of the learners can impact the classroom, the instructor still has the single greatest impact on the classroom climate & therefore the learning.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I am also a boomer teaching Boomer, X & Y students. For the most part the Boomers like to learn the way I did, and the X & Y want you to give them only what will be on the test. They don't want to read the chapters just review the test. This is frustrating for me as there is way more in a chapter than just what is on the test. I have started to give a quiz the day after we start a new chapter to see who has done the required reading. Its amazing how a low score on a quiz will get people to read.

Andrew,
and with the Y learners, I like to work my way backward. I've found if I give them what's on the test & whet their appetite for the material, then by talking about the other interesting stuff that I can't cover, I find they actually will read it more.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

As a boomer teaching X and Y the most obvious difficulty teaching these students is their lack of a liberal arts, "knowing the basics" type of preliminary education. I get the impression that to much effort has been spent letting the students dictate what they must know and being catered to when ultimately some things need to be done the "old-fashioned" way.

I agree. I am also a boomer teaching X and Y students. They only want to know what they need for the test. In Radiology there is so much more than what is on the test. When we start a new section they are instructed to read the chapter. First day of class I ask them what they thought of the chapter, X and Y's refuse to read the chapter. It is impossible to go over everything that is in the chapter as I had to going through my Radiography program. We can only put on the tests what is in our lecture, ppt or handouts. They do not realize how much they are missing.

Albert,
this is a great point. There seems to be that emphasis on just tell me what I need to know, rather than learning about many topics.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I am a generation x teacher teaching boomers, x and y students at a design and technology college. I happen to be closer to the Generation Y however, I was taught by boomers. I still find it frustrating that my students will not read to find out more than just wants on the test, however at times I just want them to know key points which would help them pass a test or complete an assignment. I find that time managament is an issue when it comes to reading which is why Gen Y rarely read. They are usually learning in other ways; through entertainment and social media which is quicker and in my opinion more effective. Youtube for example, may not be a form of learning for the classroom...but it is entertaining and effective in encouraging the student to want to learn more in a sense becoming self taught.
I like to learn like a boomer and operate like a X&Y. I try to find the balance by providing information in all three ways, audio, written, visual (demonstrations and through social media)It may seem like a lot of work but is well worth it to me.

I too am a Boomer teaching all levels. It has been difficult to change my way of thinking in terms of instruction technique (but this is the way it has always been done!). Many of the students have come from a learning environment that "teaches to the test," so they expect the same format in the technical college arena. I explain that there is no way to "teach to the test" for the licensing exam they must take, nor will there be an instructor with them when they are working with clients. Therefore they must learn to use critical thinking skills to succeed. Showing them how to figure something out is both extremely challenging but ultimately the most rewarding for them as well as me. I just love love "light bulb" moments!

I also love to see the "Light bulb" monent when their eyes light up. That makes the rest of the day great.

Dianne,
those light bulb moments are rewarding & you are right that we need to help our students develop their critical thinking skills. Acquisition of information is relatively easy today, how to use it is another matter.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I totally agree you Lauren. I went to public school and they are not the blame for the quality of students. I believe it takes motivation of an idiviual. You have to be self motivated in order to ahead in life. It doesnt matter what school you come from.

Terry Marie,
I also agree that the individual's motivation is what really makes the difference in whether they are successful in the classroom or not.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I couldn't agree with you more. School these days is easy and I guess it goes along with the "everyone gets a trophy" mindset.

George,
yes and what an opportunity we have to really invest in the students & help them see the value in learning & stretching themselves.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Here is a topic I agree with wholeheartedly. On a regular basis I will have students I observe deny any responsibility for their actions and then call it self preservation! I have made a few inroads with students, however, since in our field one needs to take responsibility and be accountable for their actions. Once we are able to show them the rewards of taking responsibility, the self preservation idea goes out the window. Knowing as they proceed with life and their career, "manning up" is actually a better way to practice self preservation because it shows others, usually employers and peers, that they are trustworthy and reliable. Having these traits actually helps to further their career, but more importantly, self worth.

I can relate to this. I am nearly 65 and have also taught in a variety of situations and age ranges. It is definitely a different way of thinking in today's classroom. I think we should not focus too much on having it "better" than their parents, but rather learning to live in a much different society and world. Things are changing so fast, it is really not possible to say if their lives will be "better", but rather "different"

Donna,
this is a great perspective & I agree. We need to set aside the better or worse ideas & acknowledge that things are different & figure out how to best reach this generation with the material.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment