Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Gen Y Students Multi-Tasking with Technology in the Classroom

Our campus policy strictly forbids use of electronics in the classroom = no cell phone or laptop use. This makes me think of "...throwing the baby out with the bath water" with respect to the Gen Yers preferred method of learning. What ways can we as instructors incorporate multi-tasking with technology in the classroom without disrupting the learning process for all students?

Namaste, Shelia

Shelia,
I do think it is helpful if we can help our students see the valuable & profitable uses of technology in the classroom.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

There is no reason why a student NEEDS to use a cell phone or a laptop in the classroom. Students can take notes on paper and phone calls can wait for break time.

My school also has a ban on cell phones and lap tops in the classrooms. This came about because they were NOT using them for classwork but used them for texting friends (phones) or surfing Facebook.
In this case I think the ban was appropriate since they were not using them to gain information.

Connie,
unfortunately those students who were abusing the privilege have caused a problem for others. This is often a necessary step.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Our campus also has a ban on wireless devices such as phones, laptops, etc...We have also banned the use of certain web sites for students to do research for papers and projects. This forces the student to use appropriate materials when doing research while keeping them in thier comfort zone with technology. I have also opened up a blog for the students to participate in an on-line discussion but I have given them the option of participating in this assignment.

Interesting point of view. I agree to a extent. However, because of technology, it has been a means for students who are responsible for taking care of thier elderly parents or children to communicate. Sometimes unforseen situations can happen during a students class time where they are the only means of contact to their elderly parent or child. we have to remember life does happen during class time. Also, with laptops in the classroom, I have found that students can note take quicker and actually tranfer the notes to thier phones and use it as a study guide for them. The information is on them all the time. If students are abusing these gadgets so to speak, I feel as a insructor, I must not be presenting my information in a way that engages them so they seek other entertainment. Unfortunately, as teachers we can be a little one sided on things and how we are hot wired. You have to understand how life works different for each genration and in this case how to balance it with true understanding.

If i see a student is particularly attached to their laptop I try and incorporate it into the lesson. For example, I may make them Google a particular topic we are discussing, have them attach their laptop to the projector and then lead the class in a discuss of it.

Agreed. We allow students to use their laptops in class, but it seems to be more problematic than beneficial. The advent of Facebook and texting has taken much too much of a toll on how students pay attention in class. While I agree that Gen Y may have good multitasking skills, I think that can be part of the downfall as well. They do really well with balancing social media, but not always in paying attention to details.

Chris,
this is a great statement & one we need to pay attention to. Just because a person can do many things at once, doesn't mean that they are doing all of those things well.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Thank you! As much as I try to teach students to pay attention to detail, they pay more attention to social media. I do my best to explain policies and procedures, and it sets in for some of them, but never all of them. We've had discussions about rewarding the ones that do what they're asked, but to me that seems counter productive.

one way to help is to be as proficient in the tech and multi-tasking as they are. Fortunately, most subjects now benefit greatly from contemporary technology. Rather than trying to exclude it, the etch should be embraced.

Johnny,
yes, the more we can embrace the technology ourselves the more we can connect with this generation.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Our school had an open policy regarding use of technology but has put some limits on usage.
There are restricted sites that they can't get on to, sites that they can get on to and a limit on Facebook type sites of 45 minutes a day for all.
So far it appears to work well.

Edward,
I think this is a great example of finding a happy medium. The students are able to use the technology, but they also are being taught appropriateness.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

My school has an open policy about the use of laptops in classes. I tell my students that, in my experience, handwriting notes helps me absorb more information that if I were to type them. They look at me as if they are waiting for liver spots to burst on my arm.

I get that students like to have the use of the laptop while class is going on, and they download and access my Powerpoint notes while we're having the discussion. I manage this fine line by being mobile in the class. I'll walk around while talking. It helps me keep an eye on what they are looking at on their computers. I've also found that being on the move helps engage the student better in discussions.

Shane,
this is a great approach & demonstates balance. While we may prefer one way of learning, not all of our students share this preference. Also, as you pointed out, the key is to remain mobile so we can monitor what is happening.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I teach Computer Science, which means there is computers in my classroom (try teaching computers without a computer...:), anyway, as I am unable to just stand there and talk, I like to move around, constantly. It always amuses me to watch the mouse clicking back to the powerpoint from their social sites that they're actually on.

Roy,
and to me, from a practical standpoint, this is why we need to be mobile in the classroom so we are keeping them accountable.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

It's very true that administrative rules applied to the whole are not always correct. What we are used to perceiving as a distraction (through our own eyes) is not necessarily someone else's reality. When laptops were new, someone having one in class was an attention getter, and therefore perceived as a distraction. Today no one blinks twice at a student pulling out their laptop to prepare for class. The admisitrative rules need to keep pace with the new direction our methods for educating are taking.

Sign In to comment