Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Performance Contracts

We use a modified version of this for the research component of some of our courses. The students have the ability to develop their own project, within our parameters. Once their plan has been approved, the instructor and student both sign.

Pamela,
I really like this idea as it gives ownership & accountability.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I immediately wrote down notes for this. i love the idea of giving the 1% incentive also.

I did this as well and the students were so excited about the projects assigned to them. They were able to work together as a group and felt like they were achieving something other than a score/grade. The students also involved our game/web design program to enhance the content of the video they produced. I had the students evaluate the performance of the group as well as themselves and all seemed to be grading each other objectively. I have been doing this same assignment for 3 years now and it keeps getting better and better.

Yes, students are more apt to complete and follow through with goals when they are written by themselves.

This topic of performance contracts must be one of the most valuable things I have read here. Periodically I teach a segment of a specialized artistic course with students that naturally have differing interest and skill levels. By starting out with a performance contract, it is going to not only help me understand where they are and what they need from our short time together, but truly personalize the lessons for them. I've had problems with the students less interested acting as if they want me to do their project for them. This should help them take ownership and teach responsibility. Having them think critically about where they are in the present moment and where they intend to go is vital. Our time together is going to be much more meaningful. Looking forward to doing this!

Sign In to comment