Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Poverty as a Native Language

Although she has been criticized for her liberal use and interpretation of research, Ruby Payne made a strong case for people living in poverty having a language (and certainly a culture as included in this module) separate from mainstream or "Standard English." What are some examples of classroom practice(s) that address the language diversity represented in the language of those from lower socioeconomic circles?

I did read a book by Ruby Payne on the recommendation of a colleague. It was interesting. It was eye opening in many ways. I remember the idea she wrote about addressing how people from different social strata develop different ways of living, thinking and speaking. It did certainly address how people living in the 'poverty' level develop different skills, values and language than middle and upper class life styles. As a teacher working with people from different backgrounds, I thought it was well worth reading.

Ian,

Yes, we need to teach the students we have,not the students we think we have in our classrooms. The 'poverty' level student needs to feel safe in their learning environment. Basic survival needs must be met before learning can occur. I am glad her book made such an impression on your teaching prospective.

Arlene Muller

I realize we have to teach the students we get, including those in or near poverty, but I believe our purpose should be to elevate them from the language of poverty as much as possible. If they want to have success, they must learn the language of business or the working world.

martin,
These are my thoughts as well. When I was a Campus Director, my theme was "We Educate the Students in Our Classrooms" and I found it to be very positive in retaining students. You are a very positive educator and I hope you share your leadership especially on this topic.

Arlene Muller

I had a concern similar to this reading through this training, mostly because a lot of the issues experiences by ELL students are, sometimes, applicable to a wide swath of students (in a very, very broad sense, of course).

I wonder if it might be helpful to think about everyone as being multilingual--by that I mean we engage in different languages depending on our social situations. "Standard" English is merely one of the many languages we employ, and is not appropriate in all settings. This, I think, relativizes the social importance of Standard English. That is, ELL students are not poor students, etc., but simply need practice in one small arena of the languages they know.

In terms of specific classroom practices, I always make sure to emphasize, in my English Comp classes, the arbitrary nature of language. That's great for a comp class, but I think in any class there is jargon--and deconstructing jargon is a nice way of pulling the curtain back from language in general.

Dan,

Excellent observation. It sounds like you are really reaching your students by going beyond the "Standard" English.

Arlene Muller

I agree with you. Having a "language" of poverty can prevent the student from succeeding. However the task is to not necessarily "elevate" the student from their background language" (which implies judgement) but to teach them a new language which can be used in certain workplace and educational settings.

Kathryn,

Excellent, You have gone beyond to make language more practical. Teaching only occurs when the student understands and can repeat the knowledge back in his or her own words. You are on the right track in your thinking and teaching.

Arlene Muller

I always believe in pulling people up rather than pulling the curriculum down. If someone is in a class that I teach, I always start with a pretest to gauge their competency. After I find out where everyone is at, I set small goals throughout the class for students to overcome. I do not mind if someone presents in their version of English in class. But on written assignments, I always expect that students make efforts to improve their writing style. However, I make it clear that I will proofread any assignment with the student, so he or she does not fear making mistakes.

Benjamin,
I appreciate your teaching techniques. The pretest is always an excellent gauge to understand the ability of your students. I especially like your proofreading with the student. Allowing the freedom to make mistakes and still have you as a one on one to learn the proofreading is excellent.

Arlene Muller

Research has established there is not one special language center in the brain, but we use familiar images and context to help connect meaning to words. The example used was "flying pig." No one has seen a flying pig, but some people imagine wings sprouting behind the pig's shoulders; others envision a caped pig. The environment in which people live affect the images attached to words. It's my feeling that educators apply the same principles to educating poverty level learners as they do for ELL's.

Paula,
Yes, we learn from the experiences we can bring to our words within our world. Learning occurs when the instructor can show association of the familiar to the association of the new word and concept. Music is a great example when you can expose students to the music of Mozart and add a new learning experience to widen their world.

Arlene Muller

I think where applicable we should always reach a student on their level. I have found that it is pretty common for students from lower socioeconomic circles to relate better when I speak to them with their style be it a language separate from English or even ebonics in private. There is a familiarity and common understanding that is unspoken there.

Navinthran,
As instructors we need to find the common denominator, we are constantly searching to find it as we teach. I admire your efforts.

Arlene Muller

I'm an English teacher and one of my opening discussions always includes exploring the idea of multiple forms of English with my students--starting with the formal/academic English they are learning in the classroom and expanding to include the various kinds they use in their own lives. I also try to work in an explanation and discussion of "code-switching" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code-switching).

--Kate O'Brien

I have taught in: Ohio, Hawaii, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Louisiana.No matter what state I have taught in, there is a different vernacular or slang version of English. Each state had different prominant ESL learners. I concur with Ruby Payne that even within the different states in the United States, that there is a seperate mainstream for "Standard English." It would take me a good 6-9 months of listening to my students to understand the English "norm" for them. The majority of my students have always been from lower socioeconomic status. I have always used humor and collaborative work to help my students. I always stay current with music and trends becasue students can relate to that. By being fresh and innovative, I can hold their attention. Also, being an outsider, when they hear me speak, it is different, and they are more receptive to learn.

Lisa,

You are going the "extra mile" when you say you stay current with music and trends because students can relate to that. I agree your techniques will hold your students attention. Excellent!
Arlene Muller

Kathleen,
Great Technique! I love that you show your students the difference and proper use of both expressions.

Arlene Muller

Sign In to comment