Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

GENERATION "Y" (or MILLENNIAL'S"

Generation "Y" have a hard time giving up their cell phones, iPads and laptops. It is almost an impossible task to get them to adhere to the rules.

Because of their generational connectivity, I think that it would be a wonderful idea to explore some ways in which the cell phone could be integrated into the lesson plan. Computer and iPads are already in use; however, the instructor must ensure that each students is on task, and not on Facebook or email.

Computer technology can be a terrific tool; however, it can also be a distraction. The "connectiveness" of this generation, has produced students with a shorter attention span ecause of the ease on online text, scanning the material, and ease of plagiarizing online. To achieve balance in the classroom, guidelines need ot be in effect for non-technological lesson time, but also for "tech" moments, such as a quick...."Let's Google it!" by cell or laptop. It is a sense of immediacy which makes the lesson fun. (You can also make it a contest to see who can find the info fastest.)

Nancy,
this is a great idea & you are right, if we can find a way to incorporate the technology into class it's a win-win. Obviously there are challenges with this, but I'm in favor of exploring & testing, rather than just saying "it won't work."

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Absolutely - the key to this generation (and I am part of it) is that technology will only become more pervasive. Also, this generation, particularly late in the milennials, have a sense of time and length that is very different. An email, at times is outdated. This changes formality as well as communication

Chelsea,
this is an excellent point & as you stated one that we must be considering as to how that impacts our instruction.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

As a "veteran" teacher, from high school to college presently, I have worked with several
generations. One shocker was when a student did
not take notes from my board lecture but came up
afterward and took a picture of my notes with his
cellphone. That caused me to think--"Why bother
with power point and all that entails (time etc.)
when I could let students use their tech skills
for the same purpose--copying my board notes?"

Gloria,
this is a great example. I would say there are some students who prefer the action of writing & taking notes off of power point. I think this is an example of being flexible & meeting the various styles.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I make sure to use technology in every coarse and have even made it a point to let the students know that I am available by chat if needed. I do find that even though these Gen Y students want to feel connected there is still a disconnect when it comes to responding in a timely fashion. I have put specific time contraints on projects and that seems to get them motivated to respond quicker. I have also noticed that these students have a tendancy to avoid asking for help in-person but will ask for it through the use of technology.

I think how and what we teach needs to change as technology is constantly changing our schools and students. Instead of so much rote memorization, isn't it more important to be resourceful -- to know where to find the answer. I remember having to memorize all the state capitals in grade school. Are they still doing that? Instead, maybe the students need to know where and how to look up the capital of Montana, etc.

Sign In to comment