Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Phone Usage

When I see a student on the phone I ask them to google something pertaining to the course material.

That's actually a really good and helpful idea. We have a no phone policy at the school where I work, but as we all know they will sneak them and this is a good way to make them useful when they are "caught".

My school has a no phone policy. I have taken the opposite approach - they must have their phones on the desk so if an emergency occurs they can take the call or text. The real reason is so that I can see who is using their phone. Of course, if they have an emergency they can leave the class for the call.

Karen,
that is a great strategy to monitor the usage.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I think that is a great idea Karen! My school also has a no cell phone policy... but I like both the suggestions stated here... 1. have the students leave on the desk so important calls can be seen ASAP and if caught on the phone have student Google something pertinent to subject.

That is a great idea, but I tend to push NO CELL PHONES.

It is the same for me. The school has a "no phone" policy as well and the students have to wait and check their phones on a break.
To be honest, I agree with that because: 1) I feel that they are indeed a distraction in the classroom and 2) Most jobs in the workplace probably won't allow talking on a cellphone during work hours anyway.

I agree Tim. We have the same policy for the same reasons. Also, I have to fill out a "Professional Disposition Profiles" that keeps them accountable for their learning progress. The cellphones is on the list and they are very aware of it and why.

there is a time and place for using your phone, class is not one of them. if your school/business has rules against cell phone use then its up to the instructor/ boss to hold students/ employees to these standards. if you as an instructor do nothing about it then you cant complain. the students phone use can be altered if you uphold the rules.

Todd,
I agree that one of our roles is to help our students learn appropriateness.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Students should be act professional and realize that phone usage is inappropriate at certain times. However, if i need to let a student know something specific after hours it can be helpful to text message them. Also, its good that they can call my cellphone if there is an emergency or something important that cant wait to be addressed.

christopher,
I agree. We are preparing these students for careers & so must help them realize appropriateness with the use of cell phones.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I like that idea.Some ask the students to reach what he or she is texting once they are caught. This tends to make the student leave the cellphone alone.

I use this same rule. I feel like schools with anti-cell phone use rules are not forward thinking. Embrace the new technology and make it work for/with you instead of fighting it against you.

Phone usage should be used during break unless an emergency.

Rita,
and this kind of rule helps teach professional behavior for the workplace.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Sign In to comment