Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Stigma of Disability and Psychological Disorders

Stigma comes in many shapes and sizes and is a very real part of psychological disorder or physical disability. This mark of shame is sometimes what stops a person who needs help to actively seek it, not to mention engage in a meaningful activity. Stigma is that negative perception that society holds of people who have a mental illness,physical limitation or learning disability. As an educator, I feel it is incredibly important that I do my part to “de-stigmatize” whenever I can by providing facts to my students. I teach psychology courses so it is relatively effortless to make this part of the teaching process in my classrooms.

- Maritza Leon-Veiguela, MS

Maritza,
I am sure the students with disabilities who come within your realm of influence will be grateful for your accepting attitude and actions. Keep up the good work!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

I make sure to define and explain stima and it's implications at the start of every class.

I like the idea of introducing the subject -- and the implications -- generally, for every class, and not limiting the topic to those classes where problems have arisen. It is ALWAYS a good reminder, and there are certainly instances of stigma impacting other marginalized groups, too.

As a sociologist, I am aware that labeling is a core theory that offers insight as to why individuals so labeled behave the way they do. With disability (a negative label to begin with) individuals begin an uphill struggle to gain acceptance. Most likely, knowing that this label applies and that others are aware of it will lead to an interaction process that may discourage learning. It has been my experience that individuals generally want to be treated the same way, or fairly. So, it is imperative to be aware of the possibility that a learner may have neruological/emotional concerns, but not to let that get in the way of the presentation of the material.

George,
I couldn't agree more. In the area of disability studies, there is quite a bit of discussion about "attitudinal barriers" and their impact on limiting opportunities for people with disabilities. If you ever have the chance, check out a video, made in the mid 80's, called "Tell Them I'm a Mermaid." It's a classic!

Dr. Jane Jarrow

Sign In to comment