Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Using Social Networks

in our technical school social networks are only used on a limited basis, to keep students informed of up coming events and such. No real place in our classroom.

Troy,
this is good to know & I think a very appropriate use of the networks in an academic environment.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

You can set up individual social networking within each class - I've done class blogs before with varying success - depending on your subject this can be used for lots of commenting, info sharing, and breaking down barriers within the classroom.

Chelsea,

yes, this is the reason for using social networking in the class setting.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

I believe on our campus social networking needs to be kept to a minimum. There tasks at hand that require attention to delate otherwise serious faults are made.

Justin ,
this is definitely a case where we have to consider individual classes & campuses.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Our school is both Design & Technology. I am finding that social media sites are becoming more important and influential in our students experience. They are a great way to connect with others as well as advertise important events and opportunities.

Dennis ,
they really can be very useful & important. It doesn't mean they have to be used in class, but built into other assignments perhaps.

Ryan Meers, Ph.D.

Hi Chelsea:

Where I teach, students are not able to get on social networks, however, I really like the idea of creating a blog for the class. As you mentioned this is a great way for students to share their ideas. It also allows shy students in the classroom another way to communicate in the class. Some students are more comfortable behind a screen than face to face.

I really see no valid purpose to Facebook. But in our career development course, they students are required to setup a Linkdin account and then connect with various industry people associated with the school as well as classmates. Its a good tool to get them started practicing their networking skills!

Hi Chelsea,

What a great idea. I would never had thought to use it in this way. I particularly like the breaking down of barriers in the classroom. We don't use social network in the classroom, but will endeavor to incorporate this into homework assignments.

Sign In to comment