Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

STOP negativity right when it starts!!! Please give me your expert advice

Sometimes it feels like there are so many nice flowery concepts. But no steps to implement.

The goal is to keep a positive climate in the class (everyones attitudes) So there's less behaviors to deal with. :)

I think this can be done by being positive yourself and nipping negativity as quickly as possible.

When I start a class I emphasis that your work is usually the biggest portion of your awake hours so you want it to be a happy place. And I put quotes on the board everyday ex "Be a fountain not a drain." "If you were arrested for being kind would there be enough evidence to convict you?"

I was curious about more suggestions on nipping negativity as quickly as possible.

Without negatively narking "Don't be negative"

I have thought saying "Solution oriented"-meaning let's shift the focus away from the complaining and the problem to what can we do about it.

I also know if a lot of people are upset you cannot ignore it and have it go away. I've had students pull out a piece of paper and give me anonymous feedback. This way they feel that they are heard and someone cares enough to check into it.

Please send me your ideas!

Student have issues that are not related to the classroom education and this is reflected in the classroom envirionment that causes negative atmosphere.  The thing is to let the student know in a positive way that the attitude is not accetpable in the environment of the class room.  Acknowledge that you can understand and listen to ttheir problem and refer to appropriate resource needed.

Hello Tanya, and thank you for this great idea that I got from your blog about  asking the students to pull out a piece of paper and give the teacher an anonymous feedback. I'll  do that and see the result.  It's so challenging to deal with negativity in the classroom ,even though the teacher has always a positive attitude and creates a positive environment. There are students who bring their personal problems into the classroom, all the negativity that goes on in their lives and how many times we, as teachers advised the students that bringing the personal problems at a workplace was unacceptable.

Sign In to comment