Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Student Motivation; nontradition students vs traditional students

Often times I can use students that are older and that have been in the work force to add clarity to the expectations that the younger students act and be professional. Students tend to believe each other more readily than the instructor even though the instructor may be very competent and experienced. Is this a tendency in all career school education? Do you think it is because they are older or because they are from the selected peer group ?

Managing participation through questioning techniques

Are there modules that cover more in depth questioning techniques and do you think proper direct questioning can aid in student participation?

Keeping focus

I have a hard time with my LIVE conferences. I am aware as an instructor, never let students run the discussion. However, with live conference calling students tend to bring other topics to the discussion that are not related to the subject matter. I have tried giving my discussion rules before the session begins but we still have those students who continually disrupts the session. What other ways can I better facilitate my session?

Motivating students with family issues

I find more and more student in my courses are having family and financial issues, which prevents them from attending class. As much as I try to keep them interested,they still fall behind and eventually get to the point of quiting. On the other hand those students who complete assignments on time throughout the course are so motivated, even when faced with obstacles they find ways to overcome them. These are the kind of students who in turn motivate me.

Student retention in the last course

I have students who after completing over half the program, just simply stop attending school. Some of the reasons I've heard is the courses are becoming more difficult and more work is required. They are also struggling with family issues. I think it is sad for a student to come so far to drop out.

Students of various age groups and experiences

I am an experienced instructor, I have found it difficult to instructs of various age groups and experiences. Some of my students are right out of High School and then you have the 40 year olds. When communicating with them and setting the class rules. I have found my younger students to be more defiant. They do not expect to be held accountable. Also I have students who are already working in the healthcare field but are continuing their education for promotions. with these students, they challenge you on a regular basis and at times gets a little frustrating. What… >>>

My method of motivating students..

I find that I can motivate students by demonstrating my expertise, but not in an intimidating way. My course is about music theory/composition/MIDI production. As I demonstrate at the piano, or through listening analysis of audio examples, I find that students will be encouraged to duplicate my skills. This must be handled carefully, to prevent discouragement among those prone to it. Any thoughts on my method?

Missing the forest for the trees..

Quite often my subject material can become very complex and foreign to most of my students. My constant challenge is to tread very slowly into deeper waters, continually checking with each student that he/she is tracking with me. These slow steps are the only way I've found to ensure that most of my students will succeed in grasping these difficult concepts Thoughts?

Constant rewards for achievement...

I find that little rewards throughout the class lecture/interaction keep the students engaged and excited about the next chance to get a question correct. Quite often an "attaboy (or "attagirl") will go a long way towards student fulfillment and sense of achieivement. I try to keep a sense of humor about me, as we enter difficult topics, as this keeps most students engaged... Comments?

Overcoming lack of experience to learn complex topics...

My course involves music theory, song writing, lyric construction, MIDI systems, and properties of a great music production. Most of my incoming students have little or no background in music, so my challenge is to present the entire course on schedule, without leaving any student behind. What are some techniques I could use to pull up lagging students, while not dragging the others along with repeated lessons on old material?

Videos and Animation

I am a big beleiver of videos and animation type teaching. It helps student to learn more and quick.

Not focused students

I find the most difficult dealing with students have no goals and they are not focused to the studies.

The Road to Success

Upon reading this chapter, I came across 'Tell students what they need to do to succeed in your course,' I have gone as far as highlighting different topics in their book, and they still don't grasp the information. I have tried working one on one with particular students and they don't get it, what do I do???? Macy

Motivating students

I motivate my students by writing quotes on their completed assignments or aharing quotes with them to encourage them throughout the course. What is another method, which I could use to motivate my students?

Straying away from topic

What is the best method, and words to use to invite students back in a conversation when they have strayed away from a topic?

non-verbal students

How do I engage non-verbal, extremely shy students to participate in open classroom discussions?

Diversity Backgrounds

How do I integrate ESL students comfortably in the lesson plan?

Tools for remembering student names.

One of my biggest problems is remembering names. Does anyone have any suggestions or tools for this? Thanks.

Problems with being on time

One issue that seems to plague the school that I teach is getting students in the class on time. It seems that it is an issue within the whole facilty and that the students (mostly 18 - 25) are not used to being made to be on time. Is there a way to get them in and keep them motivated to come to class on time without being to aggressive in enforcing this measure?

Motivating students not to wait until the last moment

One of the issues that I have is trying to motivate the class at the beginning of the course to get a head start on projects that will be do later. It seems after multiple classes of trying to put an urgency on this matter, the results are always the same. Most wait until the last moment to do the projects and simply rush through them and it shows in the work. Any advice on how to help with this problem?