Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Empowerment

In every class you have the superstars very out going.But what about the shy stunt?What is a proper way to get the student to participate,and boost their confidence level?

Hi Jeffery,
One way is to have them present as a panel of students on a topic or to give a demonstration on performing a task. As a part of a panel there are other students in front of the class along with the shy one so the pressure is not so great as standing up there alone. The demonstration method helps them to show others they have skills that can be shared. The demonstration should be given to a small group of students so the student won't feel overwhelmed by the entire class.
In discussions break the students down into smaller groups of 3-4 students. I have found that even the most shy students will talk in these smaller groups since they can't hide inside of the bigger class setting plus they feel more comfortable in the small group.
Gary

To solve this problem, I often assign individual hands on projects. This allows the shy student to take control of their own destiny.

Hi Amy,
This is critical since the students will have to assume responsibility once they graduate. The more you can do to help them grow in this area the better prepared they will be for success.
Gary

When I saw the header empowerment, I thought immediately of empowering the student's in building their confidence. I teach introductory math and because of past experiences they need to boast their confidence and empower themselves to trust their own knowledge and to take that their learning experience and apply it.

Hi Rita,
Well spoken. This is what empowerment is really all about. By increasing their self confidence you are giving them a foundation for success. Keep up the good work.
Gary

One thing that we do is have students be "sous chefs".
sometimes instructors require it,and sometimes it is optional for extra points, etc.

In my class, the sous chefs for the day are required to help me set my demo/ station- assure the items on the check list are taken care of for a successful class, doing "opening management duties" such as the temperature log, and HACCP forms.
During the day, during production time- as universal problems arise- I go to my sous chefs and tell them what the problems are, and they have to address their class mates to get it done.

The sous chefs get direction direct from me, and they give feed back directly to me.

The students know that disrespecting the sous chef is like disrespecting me.

I've noticed that everyone who doesn't want to be a sous chef will eventually change their mind.

I explain it to them as running a kitchen- this is their chance to develop their management style.
and I am there to back them up if needed.

Hi Jennifer,
What a great way to let students develop their leadership skills plus you are showing them what they will face in the real world kitchen they are about to enter. They are going to have to think fast, solve problems and motivate fellow workers. These are all skills that must be in their skill sets if they are going to rise in the field. You are letting them experience this early in their careers where they have you standing behind them to help so it won't be so scary when they are out on their own with no one catching their backs except themselves and their abilities.
Gary

Sign In to comment