Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

to old to learn or young stuborn

Being a 30ish year old teacher I see a different view of both. My question is,is it possible to be to old to learn or to young and stuborn to listen to experienced people? What about combo's of both?

Hi Jeffrey,
Very good question in that I have encountered both combinations. My experience has been that it all depends upon the individual, not the age or experience. If they don't want to be in the college or program then they resist any form of instruction. Also, if they have had extensive experience in the field and are trying to upgrade their skills sometimes it is hard to get them to try another way of doing something, since they have a pattern or method they have used previously. With this group I try alternative approaches and also let them demonstrate their methods and then we talk about the pros and cons of each method. This way they get to share some of their experiences but learn new and better ways of performing certain tasks.
Gary

Hi Jeffrey,
I must agree with Dr. Meers, age doesn't seem dictate a students desire to learn or their motivation. My father-in-law is 81, and decided he wanted to learn about using computers, so he's taking a class. His age really doesn't impact it, but his style of learning does. Everyone learns in different ways, some like pictures and diagrams, some like to listen to someone speak, some like to read, some have to "do" something (kinesthetic). Early in our students' program they discover their learning style, but often instructors later in the program don't know how they learn, so we have to discover it all over again and ensure we meet that students’ needs based on how they learn. It would be a curious project to determine how age impacts how someone learns.

In my classes, I have full spectrum from zero experience with the topic (not related to age), to experiences well beyond the scope of the class. I like to balance the two so the newbies don't feel intimidated by those in the class that are so much more experienced, yet ensure that both sides get something from the class.

I definately agree with you and in my teaching experience what I have seen is that the statement " Too Old to learn or Young stuborn" can be taken differently. That is sometime's the older age group brain is already occupied with information that may be related to what they are learning and some times not.They always want to relate the present given information to what they already have and at times hard to accecpt the new ways hence are stubborn in their own way. On the other hand the younger age group may be rebellious in nature to the set rules and not as motivated to the goal but their grasping power and retaining power is better once they make up their mind to work. It's like using a new blotting paper or a used blotting paper. This is a very crude example. Both ways motivation is a major factor.

We have all had those times when we were on one side or the other of what you describe. It is a valid question that we all ask at one time or another especially when our class age ranges from 19 to 60. I have found stuborn students on the old and young ends of the spectrum. It is a real test of teaching skills. It's what makes it fun.

I have noticed that me older students are more open to new information.

I don't think it's possible to be either. That would imply that all people reach an age where they can't learn or they can't learn until they reach a certain age. Not learning is a choice although not neccesarily intentional. Stubborness is a sign of immaturity. Both obstacles are difficult for a teacher to overcome. It's hard to make a class interesting or exciting for an older person that has a been there, done that outlook. It's also difficult to reach a younger student that hasn't matured to the level needed for academic success

Sign In to comment