Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

New students shadowing students close to graduating.

We have had first-quarter students "shadow" and sit in the classes of students about to graduate in order to instill the sense of belief in the program. It helps to show new students that what they are presently studying can get them to their ultimate goal of graduating.

Hi Rick,
Thanks for sharing that good idea. I am sure this is very beneficial for students.
Gary

I encourage our Admissions department to have potential new students shadow a class or two. I feel that this allows the students to get a realilistic feel for the program and a better understanding of what to expect once they are enrolled.

Hi Paul,
Good idea about having the students shadow a course. Gives them an idea of what they are getting into. Thanks for sharing.
Gary

We have a mentor program set up here. It allows new student to get there feet wet by talking out there concers and problems with a student that has been around for a while. It seems to do well for those students that actually ask for the help

Hi Jessie,
Sounds like a good program. Have you noticed a higher student retention rate as a result of the students being assigned mentors?
Gary

Hey Rick,

What a wonderful idea! Have you noticed any negatives of the shadowing program? Thanks, Elisabeth

Hello, Rick.

Shadowing is a really interesting idea. Do the new students sit in on advanced classes for an entire term, or just for a class session or two? What kind of feedback have you received from the students about the experience?

Heather Willis

Depending on the quarter, we try to have them shadow students for just one day. We have received very positive feedback from the newer students each and every time.

No negatives to report. It is very encouraging for the new students to see that people just like them are enjoying success and are reaching their goal.

Hello, Rick.

Thanks for your response. The one-day shadowing sounds like a great strategy. I really like the idea of giving new students a taste of the courses that lie ahead. :)

Heather Willis

This is a really good idea. I am sure the students like having someone to relate to besides the teacher.

That is a fabulous idea, Rick! In my classes, I often have a broad spectrum of knowledge and students at a variety of point in the program (beginning, middle, and end all in the same class). I love the shadowing idea to pair up a 'newbie' with a more experienced student to allow them to share their knowledge and get a different perspective than just mine. Thanks for sharing!

Marcia

Sign In to comment