Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

I have found that most student learn faster with the help of visual aids. Let's face it this is a visual society.

Hi Patricia,
Yes, we are a visual society in the way we communicate, learn, and internalize information. The key in our teaching must be variety. We need to offer instruction in a variety of ways that will enable our students to grasp the concepts and skills in such a way so as to be effective for them.
Gary

Hi Patricia,
I myself find that visual and a lecture or demonstration, work the best. I always believed showing and telling about what you want the student to learn helps them retain the information. They seem to pick it up quicker than if I just lecture, or discribe, a subject.
Liz

Hi Patricia:

Yes, I would agree that visual aids can assist greatly in the instruction of students. Often, when we've got a first hand look at how others approach similar work, it may make it easier for us to understand. I find that it also forces the student to form opinions and to comment on their feelings about the subject matter.

I have found that students learn quicker when I can visually stimulate them with demonstrations of what we will be trying to accomplish in that class period. Also when a student reaches a point that I feel might be intimidating I will demonstrate with them one on one to get them to see how i would approach the said problem. I like the old analogy "Monkey see Monkey do."

Hi Shannon,
Good suggestions about how you work with your students. Through demonstrations you are giving your students a chance to practice and then apply their newly acquired expertise.
Gary

Very True- I teach massage. I not only have visual ais, I have "hands on". All of my written material isn't really used. I have students use it after the class. The more visual and interactive I can make my classes, the more data they seem to retain.

Hi Donna,
What are some examples of how you use the visual and interactive techniques in your classes? As you are teaching massage in a different environment and using different approaches I know you have some good ideas to share.
Do you use any games in your teaching approach? Things like Jeopardy, etc.?
Thanks
Gary

You are so write we are a visual society and my students learn so much more from hands on and overhead pictures. This way I can explain to them if they are performing the proceedures correctly or not and then show them my way so they have veriety.

Sign In to comment