Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

re: icebreakers

Do You use ice breakers to start off a new module, and if so what kind.

As a photography instructor I find that a short slide show of some of my work both establishes my credibility with the students and invites questions that lead to discussions of many of the technical topics I wish to cover.

Hi Donald,
Good idea in showing your work. Often times I find that the students forget that all of us have earned our living working in the fields we teach. We know how to perform the tasks and processes that go with our area. By sharing what you have done in your field you are giving them a goal to strive for as well as illustrating to them that they can call upon you for assistance as they develop their own style and skill. After all that is what being an instructor is all about.
Gary

As an instructor I tipically start the class by way of review, such as asking questions related to the previous week's lecture. I feel this helps to facilitate the continued learning of the subject matter, and it empowers the student to test their knowledge and retention.

In my first semester drawing classes I like to show examples of my college course work and then examples of what I am doing professionally now. I want the students to know that the more they PRACTICE the better they will see and do.

Hi Timothy,
Good way to start the class. It gives the students a chance to reflect on what they have learned the previous class meeting and how they can prepare themselves for what they are going to learn at the present class.
You might also what to develop some forms of review games that get the students involved from the very beginning of the class in a form of competition(nothing fierce) using teams. Students really enjoy using their newfound knowledge in a game setting. I use a Jeopardy format(will be glad to share it with you if you want) that is very effective for getting student focused in on what I want them to know for that day.
Gary

Hi Shannon,
You are giving your students examples of something they can strive for. In addition, I commend you for showing your students how you are successfully competing in the real world. Often students don't think their instructors have had or do have any experience in real world settings. They see instructors as being all theory and not any practice. You are showing them that this is not true. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Hello Gary:

Your Jeopardy format intrests me. Yes, please share it with me. I'm always intrested in ways to further engage my class in the learning process, it's makes my job easier and keeps the student motivated and interested.

Tim

Hi Tim,
Attached is the Jeopardy format. Let me know how it works for you.
Gary

I usually review the previous lesson also, and ask the students if the have any questions.
Usually there are some questions and we then have an open discussion. I also ask if any one else is having the same type of problems with the lesson.

Hi Virginia,
In addition to what you are doing with the Q&A session in your class you might want to develop a brief Frequently Asked Questions handout for your students. I have found that this FAQ handout helps to answer many of the students questions as well as getting them to ask more specific questions in terms of assignments and requirements. The FAQ sheet covers the basics of tools/books/materials required, etc. In addition the syllabus covers the other requirements, this way the students have 90% of their questions answered so they can leave class feeling well informed about what you want from them in the next few weeks.
Gary

Thank you for your advice i will introduce the procedure at my next class. Again thank you very much.

Virginia

As a massage instructor I start a class with an interesting hands on technique that helps them learn palpation skills in a way that they haven't learned before. Peaking their interest and setting an impression of what they can expect to learn has been an ice breaker that has worked for me. Raising their expectations and having them experience something totally new is amazing.

Hi Donna,
Way to start a class. When any of us find ourselves in a new learning situation it is fun to be able to learn something new quickly and then try it out. You are doing this and letting the students leave the first class meeting with a reason to come back. They know they will learn more.
You are also peaking their interest in the course. Challenging them to want to learn more about what is to come. Good Job!
Gary

Just yesterday I had a student tell me that we should play games in my English class. I asked her what kind of games she would like to play, and she said Jeopardy. Your format really put the idea into focus for me. I think it's something I might try.

Hi Kim,
I have used games for years in my classes as the students really like them. They get hooked on being able to answer the questions and almost forget they are learning.
I am attaching the Jeopardy PP I use in my classes. It will help you set up the format for your game.
Let me know if you come up with any other game formats that you have found to be effective and fun for your students.
Gary

As an instructor, I usually start each new class with a game I call "True or False." I have the students tell 3 'things' about themselves. Out of the 3 'things', only 2 are True. Now, the class has the opportunity to guess which one is False. This is a fantastic ice breaker. It also allows the students to practice public-speaking techniques within a relaxed environment.

Hi Melissa,
I really like the ice breaker you are using. Anything you can do to get the students settled down, having fun, and enjoying getting to know each other helps get them ready for the coming weeks of class. Many instructors get so focused on getting the class started they forget to include some fun activities that helps the students to get prepared for what is to come.
Gary

Generally, I usually use some humorous self-disclosure about myself. My story mostly involves my pets. Most students love animals!

Hi Cheryl,
Instructors need to establish themselves as both personal and professional individuals. The personal shows you are a human and the professional shows you have the qualifications to be their instructor. By doing this you are laying a foundation for a successful course.
Gary

Sign In to comment