Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

classical music in classrooms?

How do you feel about playing soft music in the background at a very low volume. To my research classical and soft music help the learning process a great deal.

Hi Katayoun,
Good question. It all depends on the kind of class you are teaching and the composition of your students. Music has a great affect on individuals and you should use it to your advantage. If you are teaching a course where individual projects are being completed at computers then soft background music might just be the answer. Try some different kinds of music and see what the results are. I think your findings will be very interesting.
Gary

I agree with you and music could benefit, however it all depends on a class that you are teaching...

Hi George,
The sign of a truly creative instructor is their willingness to adapt to the needs of the students and the class setting. Depending on the learning community that has been created that instructional phase different types of music will be appropriate as you mentioned. An instructor has to constantly be soliciting feedback and watching the dynamics of the class to determine what the student needs really are. These are the characteristics of truly great instructors.
Gary

I play classical and Celtic music predominately in my class during lab time but when I sense the energy level drop, I'll play some soft music like Sarah MacLachlan, Annie Lennox or mild stuff from the 6o's.

It makes a great addition to the tone of the class.

Hi Jacqueline,
In all of your forum responses you indicate how you are willing to try and meet the needs of your students and to make changes as needed. This is the sign of a dedicated professional that wants to make a difference in the lives of her students. Keep up the good work and happy teaching.
Gary

Hi Katayoun, Your are right about your statement, but what happens to me, one time that I try to practice that, therapy, everyone in class wants to have their own music, and becomes very hard to stoped them, because now they have the excuse that you like that music and why can they listen to their music?

The biggest problem I see with this is that not everyone likes the same kind of music, what may make one student focus may distract another. It's a fine line and would have to be experimented with.

We have tried classical music and some nature sounding music. It seems to keep the class more silent and maybe concentrating on what their doing rather than telling stories or bagging on each other. But we have to play it in intervals or people will start questioning on what is being played. But I think it could be beneficial at times.

Hi Julio,
The key to any activity or endeavor in the class (example type of music) is to establish that you will make the decisions about what goes on in the classroom. I do allow certain types of different music in the classroom on certain days. These days may be study days, or special event days, meaning the students get to choose their type of music but only for special occasions and certain settings. This way nothing takes away from the purpose of why they are in the class in the first place.
Gary

Hi Denny,
You are correct. In fact music may not even be a part of the classroom environment. The key is to create a supportive and welcoming classroom for your students. How you “outfit” it in terms of sound, visuals, etc. will really depend on your students and their needs.
Gary

Hi Darrick,
The key is to know the moods of your classes and what they need at certain times. As you know there is not one size fits all model that will work in education. You just have to keep experimenting to find the right combination at the right time. Keep up the good work.
Gary

Music in the background for Massage is really imporant. Music does help the student concentrate on they strokes & the mood. Often, people come to class & they are thinking about events that happened to them eairler in the day. Music helps them move on & oftn @ the end of the class, they forget about what was bothering them.

Hi Jo,
Research has shown that music does have an effect on the presence of students. You are using this fact effectively as you set the stage for maximum student learning.
Gary

I tried having a relaxing fountain in my classroom and unfortunately I got several remarks about it being distracting. Although some students enjoyed it, quite a few found it to be annoying. Needless to say, I don't have it anymore!

Hi Kim,
Welcome to teaching. By this I mean even the best intentions sometimes don't work out. To bad the fountain idea didn't work. I have found that through the use of common sense instructors can come up with environmental supports that will help their students. Some classes don't need anything but a 2 by 4 setting. The two covers of the text and the 4 walls of the classroom, others need different settings. Music may or may not work, etc. Just keep casting about for the right supports for your students and don't be afraid to try different things and change about.
Good Luck!
Gary

Katayoun,

This is certainly worth a try. I agree that classical music does have an effect on learning. I used it in my own college career, while studying certain subjects, literature in particular.

John

Thinking back to my experience as a student I think I would have enjoyed soft music in some of my classes but not in others. I think it really depends on the subject taught and the what your students are like.

As a great fan of classical music, I have sometimes brought it to the classroom with mixed results. One student became incensed and put on her headphones so that she couldn't hear it. Of course, rock music coming from her headphones made it impossible for the rest of us to listen to the music. Too often students associate classical music with wealth and "being a snob." Popular culture has such dominance in this country that it's diffuclt to introduce or refer to anything else.

One positive example, however, was to play the New World Symphony in an ESL class and talk about Dvorzak's longing for his homeland.

Bruce Crissinger

Hi Laina,
The key with using any type of background support is finding something that helps the students stay focused. Use your professional judgement on anything like this. In addition, read your class. As you say music of any kind might work in this setting and not in that.
I change my background supports, music, lighting, etc. at different times of the year as well. Winter requires different supports than does fall or spring.
Gary

Sign In to comment