Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Delivering the Lecture

Have you ever videotaped yourself lecturing? What have you learned about your delivery style or mannerisms?

It is interesting to see that no one has responded to this subject. I have never had made lectures videotaped and to be perfectly honest I have never thought about this idea as a learning technique for instructors. I have had may lectures recorded and many instructors feel comfortable with students recording their lectures. I am not sure how many instructors would feel comfortable with being videotaped. I think it is a good idea and I would like to try it with instructors who may be new and in need of guidance.

Hi Anie,
You raised some very good points about videotaping instructors. I have found the process very helpful if it is done in a non-threatening way. This means the instructors see the process as being helpful not condemning.
There are several ways this can be done. Entire class sessions can be taped and then reviewed or just segments. The segment tapings can show an instructor how they open a class, respond to questions, move about the class, etc. The key to the taping is that the instructors can see how they conduct themselves in class. If you find that your instructors are too nervous about being taped and then reviewed with another professional, you can tape the session and then give the instructor a check sheet to follow in watching their own performance.
The check sheet would have the key points about professional behavior that need to be watch for. Example, Do I see myself using “ah” a lot. Do I have annoying mannerisms that I don't know I am doing? This way the instructor can benefit from the taping but not feel they are being evaluated unjustly.
Hope this answered your questions about faculty improvement. If you have any other questions let me know.
Gary

I think videotaping is an awesome idea, it would also be helpful for future "new" Instructors to view. We all learn from our mistakes. I'm sure I would fine tune a few things after seeing myslef on video! I plan to try this!

Hi Linda,
I think you will enjoy doing the videotape project. It will give you real insight into how you deliver your subject matter. The down side is that you will be amazed at some of the things you say and movements you make. I will assure you that after going through several of these taping sessions you will be very conscious of your delivery.
Have fun with this new instructional improvement process.
Gary

Yes, I HAVE VIDEOTAPED a segment of my lecture presentation and find that it really helps to videotape and critique your own presentation. You can see your movements and improve your presentation skills as well as how you answer questions.

Hi Kiran,
It does help the have some form of feedback on how you are doing as an instructor. The videotaping of lectures is a good way of letting you know how you are doing as an instructor. We need to know how we are delivering content, not only from the material base, but as a communicator. The videotape sure gives a clear picture. Isn't it amazing how we make certain gestures or vocalize certain phrases that we are not aware of? We always have to be on guard to make sure we don't annoy while delivering.
Gary

I think that videotaping a lecture would be fantastic. We currently videotape our students each module during their 5-minute speeches and mock interviews. This technique allows for growth and improvement. However; we have not adopted this idea. Why not?

What a fabulous idea.

Hi Melissa,
The biggest problem in using videotaping as an instructor improvement tool is fear. Let's face it, the thought of seeing ourselves on screen with all of our annoying mannerisms, speech faults, etc. can be scary. In reality, we generally find ourselves doing a much better job on screen than we think we do. I have found that if we look at just one or two minor things that we want to improve upon, the videotape isn't really that bad. We often only go to what we perceive as being weaknesses rather than looking at our strong points. I like to have a fellow instructor look at the tape with me and point the positives as well as negatives. I have always found that the positives always greatly outweigh the negatives. The statement I use in evaluating teachers, is that through this exercise I am helping good teachers to become great teachers.
Gary

I also did a videotaped lecture in another school I taught in. It was so it could be shown to several classes. It was a shock, really. I hate to hear my voice on tape, and my outfit didn't look as good as I thought! I did weird things with my eyes and hands. Those were the things I took away from that videotaping! The lecture went sort of like I thought it would, otherwise. So, personal mannerisms were what stood out for me.

Hi Susan,
The key with any type of feedback in terms of your teaching performance is improvement. You reviewed the videotape for improvement and you got feedback that will help you. The key is keeping a mindset that says “I am going to do everything that I can to improve as an educator”. Keep up the good work.
Gary

My University use a committee of expert lecturers to attend classes of new faculties and write a report about them. It is not well received by the faculties as it is used for their evaluation. I think video taping a lecture is a good suggestion, especially in segments and may be received well by the new faculties. However, nothing beets being in the lecture for getting the real feel for all aspects.

Hi Mahmoud,
Faculty evaluation and improvement is always a very difficult issue. The Dean of Education must make sure that there is support for the faculty and that they have a feel for how they are doing, but the faculty must be comfortable with the process.

Most instructors are nervous when it comes to having someone in their classes observing them. They shouldn't be but they are. This is why videoing presents helps to reduce the fear factor. You make a good point about having someone observe in the classroom and getting a feel for what is going on.

In terms of faculty improvement I have found by frequently polling my students for feedback helps me to stay on top of what is going on in my classroom. This helps me to improve as an instructor as well as make changes that helps keep the course going in the right direction.

What do you think is the most effective professional development and faculty evaluation plan? What are some steps colleges can take to make sure they are supporting their faculty to the maximum extent possible?

Gary

Yes I did, I learn alot and I correct it.

For one of the teaching certificates I received from the state, I had to submit a lesson plan then give a 15 minute presentation on one of the subjects in the lesson plan. This presentation was in front of a three member panel and was videotaped. This was teaching at a high stress level because you are being judged. I was given a copy of this tape and was shocked how much time I spent with my back to the class while writing on the white board. I improved because of this and I know that taping yourself can be a great training aid for any instructor.

Hi John,
I can only imagine how stressful this experience was. Being judged like that is tough but you made it a learning experience. Congratulations on how you did it. Now your students are benefiting from your professional development and they get to see more face time and less back time.
Gary

I was contemplating trying this to get a fresh perspective on lecture delivery performance and perhaps discover some ways to spice up the lecture / presence.

When I lecture I make sure I give an indication of the various ideas I plan to cover--I think students need to know what to expect. As I go along I expand on my plan hoping to give them a complete picture of the lecture subject and obtain the results I expected.norma Liberatore

Just like classroom observations (or in conjuction with them) it could be an effective tool for an instructor at any stage in his/her career.

Sign In to comment