Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Model/Manager/Motivator

As a working professional in the field of study I often share with my students an event I dealt with during the day to allow them inside information about what type of issues they will encounter.

Hi William,
Great idea. Instructors are often criticized that they don't have practical knowledge only theoretical. You are giving your students immediate application of their newly acquired knowledge by sharing with them something that is relevant from your workday.
Gary

hello william I agree with the sharing of events that happen during the day, I am a barber instructor and i let the students know what types of clients they will have, and what kinds of situations they may have in the shop. I always hear I can't believe that ! I always say ... BELIEVE!!!!!!

It's important to remember that students learn by modelling their intructor--they can learn professional and social behavior as well as technical skills. But sometimes students may model inaccurately or copy an inappropriate role model. Then it seems more difficult to correct the mistake than if it were merely a conceptual misunderstanding, almost like a bad habit that's easy to pick up but hard to break. Any suggestions?

Hi James,
The one thing we do know about learning any new behavior is that it takes 28 tries. Twenty of the tries are used in removing the incorrect behavior and 8 are used in learning the new behavior. Think how much time could be saved by just learning the correct behavior right the first time. That is why animal trainers prefer to train young dogs or horses that don't have bad habits that have to be removed before introducing the new behaviors.
Something that I do that has been helpful is to hold professional development sessions at different times in the class. These session focus on the “soft skills” to make sure the students are picking them up. Customer service is the key in any field. If we miss on that we will not be successful. I use role playing as a major way of getting the students to see the big picture in relation to modeling proper behavior like customer service for their field.
Hope this helps. If you have specific questions about this area please let me know.
Gary

I am absolutely agree. To be a good parent in a family you should be a good example. Words do mean nothing without acting. You can tell your kids to brush their teeth 1000,000 times. They will not do this until they see you. You can fix your bed without any words and kids will get it.The same for students. They came to career school and want to see professional behaviuor. They don't want to know too much theory, they are looking for practical skills. They want to be efficient and confident. So, you have to be a model all the time, even when you out of school.

Hi Efim,
Well said. The key point is that we instructors remember we are models even when we are not in the classroom. Our behavior with other instructors, front office personnel, and the support staff are all observed by the students. These are the practicing of “soft skills” that are so important in the workplace.
Gary

William,

I find that this personalizes the material, lets the students see the instructor as a professional, and encourages the student to apply their learning to their own experiences.

It's a good idea all around, and I will remember to use it more often in the future.

Thanks!

John

I agree with you 100%. In many ways, sharing your professional experiences is as important as book learning. I always discuss aspects of the subject matter and how I've applied them in professional practice--and I share good as well as bad examples. The students can learn from my mistakes as well as my successes. I often use humor, as well, in these anecdotes to break up the tension when teaching long, complicated subject matter.

As an instructor of Massage Therapy and practicing Massage Therapist in my own business, I often tell the students different situations that they will encounter, that I have experienced. It makes the profession very real to them. They have an understanding of what to expect in the real world. Becca

Hi Becca,
Any time you can bring the “real world” into your classroom you are helping your students to see what lies ahead for them. You have lived it and now you are sharing those experiences with your students. I have found that both positive and negative experiences when shared help to reinforce the concepts your are sharing with your students.
Gary

Absolutely! I too work in the industry vigorously and when the time is right in a class, I like to show projects of mine in the working stage with actual "Real Clients."
We discuss what my next step in the design process might be, and the students really enjoy adding their input and being part of the overall process.

Sign In to comment