Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

when new student enters my classroom for the very first time I always explain the them (after introducing myself ) that it usually takes me two to three days to remember their name and to please forgive me if I make an error within that time span. But, I usally make little notes on post-its to help me remember their names.

Hi Patricia,
As you know learning the names of your students as quickly as possible is essential to getting the class off to a good start. By using any means that you can to learn those names is great.
What would instructors do without post-its? They are our life lines to memory and memos.
Gary

Hi Patricia,
I also write little post-its with the new students names on it, which helps quit a bit, and after attendance, I have each student stand and introduce them self's to the other students , and having them sit in the same spot all the time also helps. These are the little tricks I use, and if anyone has other suggestions please let me know.
LIz

on the firs day , after they are all seated I tell them that this is the seating arrangement for the duration of the course. I also tell them that it will be a game for us to learn the others names, before they speak, raise their hands and once called on they say their name. It really works great. Another good one is while doing roll call (trying not to get way tooo out of hand, wave wildly , cla whatever so I can remember who they are. ( we also usually have a max of 30 students for a new class.)

Hi Carmen,
Anything you can do to help you remember new students' names should be used. There are many techniques out there and you are using some of the presently.
Another component of starting a new class is get to know something about each of your students. I have found that these little tibits of information help me to start a conversation with my students as they come into class. I make it a point to speak to and chat a little with each student each day. This way I can get a feel for how they are feeling that day and how I need to approach the learning setting. For example, if a student has had a flat tire, or had trouble with child care they may need to settle down a bit before they can focus on the class. By getting a feel for the student's attitude that day I can help them get ready to learn.
Gary

Sign In to comment