Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

The learning environment needs to have structure, but how can you make it to be comfortable for the studnets?

When you have students Teens and Adults, in the same class, When adults want to have and take the class very serious and teens just want to have fun?

I believe that for the most part adults do tend to take their education more seriously than teens, although there is always the chance of the adult that feels he or she has put forth more than their share of effort in life and therefore believes that things should be easier on them or they should get special treatment. On the other hand there are always some teen students that know exactly what they want out of life and give it 110%.

Hi Julio,
The age and interest issue is one that comes up in many classes. Different students with different agendas. The key is to create a balance of activities that can and will appeal to both groups. For example, I have created games that I use for learning acquisition that requires that both groups work together in coming up with the answers. Also, I create student teams that are balanced with both the serious adults and the teens. This again creates balance within the classroom. Sometimes for fun I pit the teens against the adults in our challenge games, this creates a real interesting combination of personalities and learning potentials. The key is to keep coming up with different formats that will generate interest in the topics from all sectors fo the class.
Gary

Hi Denny,
Right you are! Every student has a different agenda for being in class. The hope is that each different agenda can be grouped together into general agendas that will enable you to plan delivery and content that will meet these general needs. As instructors we have to be sure we don't allow an individual agenda to sway the class away from the mission of the course while still meeting the individual needs of each students. Simple job isn't? That is what makes our work so interesting as well as challenging. Each day we try to balance all of the dynamics of personalities, course content and college requirements with making sure we are offering quality instruction. What a great job we have.
Gary

Greetings! As a massage insturctor, the student ages range from 18 to 70. Bridging the gap really is not diffucult. The younger students admire the older students confidence & the older students admire the younder students fresh out look. When I have the student pair up, I do require that they belnd together. The younger students can not allways work with each other & the same apples to the older students. This way they know who to communicate & physically work on each other.

Adult students can also be role models for younger students. Don't play favorites, but aknowledge the work of each student, by doing so, you make every student take note of their role in class.

Hi Jo,
You are on the right track of paring students. Respect is an important word to be used in the classroom/lab setting. If both the older and younger students respect each other then their working together will be much easier. Also, communication is key. Through examples you can assist the students with ways they can effectively communicate with each other in order for them to work as paired learning groups.
Gary

Hi Timothy,
Respect is key when you are working with a diverse student population. You have to establish a comfortable setting for all students that will enable them to find their place in the learning community. Younger students need to realize that older students bring to the classroom/lab setting a wealth of experience from which they can benefit. In addition the older students need to appreciate the fact that they can learn from the recent experiences that the younger students are being to the classroom. As the instructor it is your job to make sure this balance occurs, often times not to easy.
You can develop ways of paring diverse students that will enable each to play to their strengths while developing respect for each other. When you have done this you will have a smooth running classr that will be a joy to teach.
Gary

Hello Gary,

Years ago, I would have pitted young against old. These days I try not to maintain a politically correct environment. Rather then pitting young again old, I'll pit one hand picked group against the other, where both groups have well represented age groups, experience, sex, race, and all the other jazz. It does make for very stimulating, and enjoyable class.

Andrés

Hi Andres,
Great strategy. You are creating balance with your groups all the while giving them an opportunity to be equal contributers to the course. You are to be commended for your approach.
Gary

Adults want to have fun too. Just make sure it is not childish, activities (like games) can be fun for all.

I have found that even though students want/need the information, you need to keep it entertaining for them. Being off the wall and adding chaos/flare keeps them comfortable.

I would have the teens and the adults pair up together. With all the new technology that is out, most of the adults don't understand how to fully utilize it and the teens seem to know how use it more efficiently. With the adults, they have more life and work experience to share with the teens about their successes and mistakes. They can work together on a project sharing their skills and experiences and present it to the class.

Sign In to comment