Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Planning and Preparation

I have found that being well prepared before class makes the day much smoother for myself as well as my students.Reading all necessary materials helps you to be more confident when it comes to answering questions that students needs answers to.

Hi Patricia,
I to, find it very important to be prepared for class. I usually start preparing about a week or two before my next module. This way I have every thing ready just in case of a emergancy that might arise, also I can go over everthing and see if I want to make any changes, or add something else. I believe it also shows my students to get there work done in case something should come up, and if the work is done already, you can relax and enjoy the class a little more instead of being stressed about getting the work done on time.
Liz

I agree. I am usually a fly by the seat of my pants sort of instructor but when i prepare a few weeks in advance i can study and be really prepared. I have also participated in mindful teaching seminars by pivot point int. , and they have alot of fun activities to get the students exited about learning, giving them the info plus accessing the students great times

HI Carmen,
The key to becoming a better instructor is constant learning on how to develop and present your course content. By taking the mindful teaching seminars you are doing a good job of creating a professional development plan for yourself.
A suggestion I would make if for you to select one area that you want to improve in or learn more about, like learning styles, and then explore that area until you feel very confident then you can select another area. Over a period of time you will find yourself a very informed and balanced instructor.
Gary

I agree with Patricia on the value of being prepared and reading all materials. I have found it helpful to even re-read familiar textbooks in order to keep them fresh in mind and also because I may see some of the content from a new perspective.

Hi James,
I will add my opinion to the idea of being prepared as well. We instructors can become overwhelmed by keeping up with all of the requirements of our work and sometimes forget the “prep” part of teaching. We can never over prepare a lesson, though we can miss the mark in our preparation if we don't have a clear picture of the needs of our students.
The re-reading of familiar textbooks is a great idea. Also, we can look for different ways of presenting the information if we have a feeling of comfortableness with the material.
Gary

I found that start class with answers for students questions is really important. I encouraged students to ask questions not only about topic covered in a class, but also about some issues in profession. May be somebody read some interesting and need professional comment. May be somebody doesn't know how to behave under some circumstances. New regulations. There are often not absolutely right answers. So, we try to find the most appropriate answer or pattern of behaviour. I spend for this approx. 10-15 min. at the begining and found this really helpful for future profession.

Hi Efim,
Good idea, by setting the tone with questions, I know you are able to cover many points that might be overlooked in your planning for the class, yet are important to the students.
Another idea that I have found to work very well, is to hand out 3x5 cards and have students write down questions they have about the course or course content. I get questions that help me to shape and redirect the course. By using the cards I get questions that might not come up or the students are shy about asking. I get full participation from the class, when often with just verbal questions I get only a third of the class asking questions due to the different personality types in the class.
Gary

I've been teaching my course for several years. I'm prepared for each class. In my field, keeping up with changes in the industry
can be tough and I sometimes find myself relying on past preparation and not keeping up with the changes.

Hi Micheal,
You make a good point about the need for keeping up. It is hard to do at times. Something I have found to be helpful is to select one part of my field and update myself on it, then move on to another area. This way I don't feel overwhelmed and I am meeting my goal of professional development.
If you try to stay up on everything you will run out of time and energy. You will be surprised at how much you can accomplish over a set period of time by having set realistic learning goals for yourself.
Gary

I teach/train in health care. I have prescribed curriculum and course outline.

At the start of each class the students are encouraged to discuss health issues they have read about or heard on television.

This sets the tone for applying what they have learned and encouragementto learn more.

Sign In to comment