Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

EC101

the learning environment needs to have structure but also be comfortable for the studnets

Hi Michelle,
You are right. By having structure your are creating a learning environment that gives your students direction. The students need to know what is expected of them in terms of both work and behavior. They need to know how you will manage your classroom.
In addition they need to have an environment that is supportive to them. A shabby poorly organized setting sends a message of apathy and non preparation. On the other hand a clean organized classroom/lab says I, as an instructor care about your learning. This setting also allows the instructor to develop rapport with the students easier since they know he/she cares about them.
Gary

Not sure I understand structure along with "comfort" for the classroom?

Hi Linda,
What I mean by comfort is that the instructor creates a sense of security and acceptance for all students. Since many of the students in career colleges are considered to be non-traditional students they are approaching the classroom/lab with a host of insecurities about their success options. They need to be reassured that they will receive the support necessary for their success if they will apply themselves to the maximum. In addition, their comfort can be enhanced because they perceive the instructor respects them as human beings as well as students. With their anxiety reduced they can focus on being students and preparing for their careers.
Gary

Gary,
You have given me so much "insight" on so many topics I deal with on a daily basis. It's really great to share your opinions and experience. I wish I would have had some of this knowledge in the beginning of my instruction. I have only been teaching in a Career College for 3 years. I had lots of experience in the topic I teach but little experience with the actual class environment. Learning new things every day! Thank you for your responses and advice!
Linda

Hi Linda,
Thank you for those most kind words. I really enjoy sharing educational tips and strategies with others. Together we all can offer better instructional deliveries if we share our successes with each other.
Good Teaching!
Gary

We all need directions just like little kids...no exceptions when it comes to students...they need well orginized, structured environment.

Hi George,
Right you are. Directions and expectations determine how the students will settle into the course and start their learning progress. If they aren't given specific directions and expectations they will spend a lot of time milling around trying to find out what it is the instructor wants. This should never happen.
By having a syllabus that outlines everything reduces the “fear factor”. No one likes surprises unless it is their birthday and even then you have to be careful.
Adult students want to be treated with respect and dignity. Clear expectations helps greatly with this treatment.
Gary

I feel a calm classroom setting works well because the level of nervousness on the part of the students is decreased tremendously.

Hi Shawn,
Yes, a calm classroom helps to settle in the students. It is ok as well to juice things up with some exciting activities that gets the class involved in the learning process. The key is always be in control of your classroom. You must be the educational leader, if you aren't you are going to have a very difficult time as an instructor.
Gary

I find playing classical music during lab time really helps my students relax and concentrate on their studies.

Hi Jacqueline,
Anything you can do to set a positive tone to the learning experience is appropriate. By playing music that appeals to your students it helps them to focus on the tasks ahead and will facilitate progress in learning.
Gary

I agree! Structure and the right level of comfort can and will improve learning. An instructor must be careful to keep the right level of comfort, or things will deteriorate and
the class will pay the price with their progress.

Hi Mark,
Students need comfort and respect within the classroom setting. If they have these two things, they then can focus on the course content and skill acquisition process. Thanks for your comments.
Gary

I'm delivering a professional course in a very unstructured environment. Few Chairs, Pillows on the floor and casual attire. I struggle to keep the students focused and professional. I trie to engage all the students in participation, but the evironment does set the tone of the learning experience. I have to be extra sensative to the professionalism and focus of the course. Massage schools that are set up in a "house environment" is not easy.

Hi Donna,
You have a very challenging environment in which to teach. You are trying to create the environment in which your students will soon be working , while sill trying to set a professional tone. By presenting yourself in a professional way, making sure you serve as the model to your students I know you will have good results.
Gary

Yes, I agree that the learning environments has to be comfortable for the student but I also believe it must be a comfort zone for the instructor.

Hi Patricia,
You raise a good point about having a comfort zone for the instructor. You as the instructor have to set up the classroom situation in such a manner that you feel the environment is right for both you and your students. Sometimes we strive as instructors so hard to meet the needs of the students that we create a situation that does not play to our strenghts as deliverers of content and application.
Gary

Michelle,
I totally agree with your statement about a class
setting having structure. But, I'm not sure if I agree with students being comfortable. As an
instructor I demand alot out of my students whether it's theory or practical work. I will purposely take a student out of their comfort zone to achieve maximum participation. Because when your student is tested over areas that he/she should know and they fail, the students
will not blame themselves, they will blame you.

Hi Robert,
Good comment about comfort. In eduation I think it has two meanings. One is comfort in terms of support, respect and environment. I believe our students really need this form of comfort.
The other comfort is more in the learning zone area. I agree that we need to move them out of this comfort area and encourage them to stretch their boundaries. The reason they are enrolled is to increase their knowledge and skill base, so by having them reach for learning components they get out of the comfort zone of not having skills so failure is a known, to a knowledge skill base where success is revealed.
Gary

Sign In to comment