Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

In ending the class for the day, is there anything you can say to peak the student curiosity to get them excited about the next class?

I don't think it has anything to do with what you say to the class to peak their curiosity,I think it has to do with the instructors excitement about working with the students on the next class day.

Hi Liz,
I sometimes hold up a piece of equipment or show a picture that is relevant to our field and challenge the students to bring me the identification of the object at the next class meeting.
For strictly content courses I challenge the students with a problem or situation that they can work on between class meetings. What you are trying to do is to peak the interest of the students for the next class. I try to ask myself what would make the students want to come back and then develop an activity that will get them interested in the next class. I look for current events or cultural happenings that help me to "engage" the students to be interested in the next class.
Gary

I think closure is so important. I have used an activity called "a ticket to leave." The student has to list or summarize something learned that day in the lesson. On the back side of the ticket, I have written a clue regarding something related to the next day's topic. I have the student try to predict what the lesson might be about. After students leave, I look over the tickets, and decide on several to be shared with the class the next morning. This gives opportunity for recognition, as well as review.

Hi Carol,
WOW! This is a great idea. You get two things for the price of one ticket. The students summarize as well as getting challenged about what is going to happen the next day. I am sure your students really like this activity. It sounds like it is a winner for everyone as well as an effective tool for planning your content for the next day.
Gary

hi liz, have you ever tried posting some of the key words from the next days lesson ? Maybe have the words floating from the ceiling (string and paperclip works great ) I don't know what your subjects are but we have at my school some books with great ideas carmen

Hi Carmen,
Good suggestions for helping students remember up coming career words. Anytime we can share how we do instructional approachs we help others as well as learning ourselves.
Keep up the good work.
Gary

Sign In to comment