Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

ED101

I have an instructor that does not know the names of the students - This is very frustrating for the students -I feel sorry for the instructor because the students make comments about how she does not remember their names and they have also lost confidence in her teaching due to this

Hi Michelle,
What a sad situation. One of the easiest and greatest things an instructor can do is to memorize the names of his/her students. Many people say they are not good with names, but in the educational world this excuse simply will not work. We have no choice, easy or not. Educators have to have the names of their students down within the first couple of class meetings, the reason being rapport. If the students think that instructors don't care then the students don't care either.
There are a number of ways instructors can quickly memorize the names of their students. Using a digital camera and taking students' pictures then putting them on their computer is a very easy and quick way of doing it.
I have found that though the introductory icebreakers I can find something about each student as they introduce themselves that enables me to remember their name. Also, I get to class early and visit with each student a few minutes as they come in. This really helps to reinforce my remembering their name as I am associating their name and face with the conversation I have had with them. As I teach large classes (45-60) I have to watch my time, but I can still spend a few seconds with each student and help nail down their name in my mind.
This instructor really needs some help from a fellow instructor or supervisor. Can you think of some ways in which this individual might be approached so she can regain confidence back from her students?
Gary

I really find learning the students name as quickly as possible shows the students you too do your homework and are there to support them. I find it challenging, and even play a game where I go around the classroom the last day of the first week naming the students...and if i miss one they "bail me out" I do this procedure until I have mastered it. It actually only takes 1-2 attempts. Using a seating chart/roll sheet to help memorize helps.

Hi Linda,
We all need to feel a sense of acceptance. If an instructor quickly learns the names of all students a real positive tone is set for the class. Everyone likes to feel recognized for who they are, and their name is the way this is done. By learning the names the instructor sends the message that I respect you for who you are and I want to get to know you as quick as possible.
There are many ways/games/approaches one can use to learn the names. Any method one uses is ok if it will allows the instructor to have fun with the students and help to get to know the students better.
Gary

the best way to learn student names is to tackle the names in parts 5 names at a tiime and relate them to names or words that are familiar. Also repetition of those name not only helps memorize the student but also helps with their participation / interaction with the topic.

Hi Katayoun,
Good suggestion about learning student names. The key is to have a method that will let you learn the names quickly and you start using them at the beginning of the course. This sends the message that you care about the students. Adult students seem to need the use of their names even more than traditional student. The use of their names seems to give the reassurance that they are going to be supported and respected in the course.
Gary

I make it a point to learn the names of my students on the very first day of class. I feel as though knowing the names of your students is very important to both you as the instructor as well as the student. By learning the names of your students, this makes the students feel as though they are important as well as special. I love having great sudent involvement/participation in my classes, it serves me well when I can call a student by name to participate. I always impress my new group of students by learning their names on the very first day of class. By learning the names of your students, you are establishing a rapport with them!

Hi Patricia,
Right on! You have captured to essence of being a good teacher the very first day. As you mentioned in your forum response, learning the students' names shows you care. You have a head start on the class just by doing this simple but very important thing for your students. Keep up the good work.
Gary

I find name tags very useful when trying to learn the names of the students.I let the students know how important it is to wear their name tags so that I can learn their names.

Hi Shawn,
You are on the right track of getting to know your students' names ASAP. Anything you can do to help you acquire their names is important. By learning the names of your students early in the course you are showing your respect for them and that you care about having them in your class.
Gary

I always make of point of learning not just how a student pronounces their name, but how its spelled because I list lectures for students on a board at the front of the class.

This lets them know I see them as individuals and keeps them aware on a daily basis of any lectures they may have with me.

Hi Mechelle, Dr Gary is right, about some people have problems with names, I was one of them, but after I start making time to go with each student and recall their names, I start memorizing all my students names and it works, just like Dr. Gary said.

Reading this forum has opened my eyes. In our Fall term, we usually get about 90 new students and I have them all. I think I just accepted that it was going to take me a long time to learn all their names and didn't go the extra mile to do it more quickly. Any other suggestions for retaining their names would be appreciated.

Hi Kim,
One of the most effective ways for me to remember students' names when I have large numbers ( I usually have 300 hundred students each semester) is to take their pictures the first and/or second class meeting. I use a digital camera so I can put the pictures on a my computer. I then locate their names beside their pictures and jot one important detail about each students. Example-picture, name, just returned from trip to China, or collects baseball cards. The detail is not important as to content, the detail is important as to remembering their names, faces, and something about them. The detail not only helps me remember the name as I mentioned, it also gives me an opening to chat with the student as he or she comes into the class. This helps me to establish immediate rapport with each student.
Gary

Gary,
This is a very interesting topic for me. I find it atonishing that you memorize 300 students names. When I attendend undergraduate studies I felt that since I was at a large state school it was my responsibility to take extra time to get to know the instructors and mke myself less than a wallflower. In my graduate studies only in practicum did my profesor use my name.
I have struggled with student names and find the ones who never engage in discussion are most difficult. I was about ready to tell them that it was their responsibliity to make themselves known by further participating in class. After reading your information I think the seating chart is a great idea. Prior to tis course I felt it was too "grade school like" to utilize. I will do so from now on.

Hi Susan,
The reason that I work so hard to memorize all my students' names is that I consider them customers and that is customer service. I can be a Wal-mart or I can be a small store operator. The students like having their names used and I get much better results in terms of performance and participation, plus my evaluations are always high, that keeps the administration happy. Everyone wins.
Gary

One of the first things that I do with students on the first day is play what I called "the name game". It works like this.

I introduce myself. "I'm Mike"
Then pick a randum student and ask their name.
"I'm Jack".
Then I say "Hi Jack, what's my name". They will of coarse say, "Your name is Mike".
I'll say good, then pick another student and ask them their name and if they remember what both of our names are. (Me and the 1st student)
They will say "yes...I'm Ben and he's Jack and your Mike".
Continue around the room. Generally speaking, through massive repeatition and just adding one new name on each pass, most people will be able to repeat back most of the names they've heard. Now, I know that most people, including myself will not remember all those names by the next class meeting but it will enable me and everyone else to have a start on knowing everyone's name, maybe about 1/3 of them. Plus it's a great ice breaker for everyone and help to cohere the group.

Hi Mike,
I commend you on your approach to learning your students' names as well as allowing the other students to learn names. As you mentioned the excercise is a great ice breaker as well helping to create a sense of community within the classroom. Getting the students involved is a real key when it comes to helping them see themselves as a part of the class.
I use a number of different activities like this that have helped me to get the class off to a good start.
Great job!
Gary

How many students are there?
It could be that there are too many.
I usually deal with small classroom settings.

Sometimes it is unrealistic to expect that an instructor would remember the name of every student if the classroom had more than 15 people.

We don't have the students a long time, but I try to get it the first day. I draw the seating on paper and put names in after they have decided if that is where they will be sitting. Of course once in a while they may change , but you get to see their faces again with their names when you call them the wrong name first.

Sign In to comment