Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Review as pretest

Why can't review if properly done be an evaluation or a pretest?

Teaching to the Test

I worry that the result of testing can lead to teaching to the test. How would you avoid that? One way is to vary the types of questions. There again, it is possible to try and find ways to figure out the question rather than focusing on the answer, and testing strategies take over.

Learning strategies

How to be more efffective in teaching and motivate students engagements

Questions in Discussion

I find that tone is important in asking questions. If a student feels intimidated by a perceived tone of the instructor, you may not get the participation you want. I guess, this is where rapport is important.

Learning Chains

Is there a difference between scaffolding and learning chains?

Discussion Board grading

My institution has added on-line instruction with the inclusion of discussion boards. I am struggling as to how to be fair in grade the responses. There are requirements as to answer the questions asked and respond to two other student's posts. Some students give more information in their answers than others. If the question is answered should there be a reward for adding additional information beyond answering the question?   

Implementing Active Learning | Origin: ED111R

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Active Learning Methods --> Implementing Active Learning

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Planning for Active Learning | Origin: ED111R

Active Learning Methods --> Planning for Active Learning

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Beginning of the course

Staring the course and will comment upon completion

First lesson

Great reinforcement on the day to day running of the class and teaching styles.

First Day Classroom Activities

After I take attendance and go over the course syllabus, I always play a game with the students. It does not matter how old my students are. I always tell them I do my best to make the class both informative and enjoyable. It never fails to reinforce the fact that I mean what I say.

Learning Styles

I am wondering if your primary way of teaching material to your students is related to the priamry way you tend to learn as a student. Wondering if anyone has really thought about this so they could understand there are muliple ways to deliver course material. 

Final exam

When will i be able to retake final exam for ED111

Student Learning and Assessment

Hi,

I am fairly new to teaching. How do you incorporate all these learning styles, especially Kinesthetic, in the on-line classroom?

Thank you,

Kathleen

Lesson Plans

After reading the lesson planning module this sums up what I have been trying to do for a long time. It is nice to see the actual format for developing lesson plans and something that I can use. Delivery Mode and Learning Styles are very important to consider and understand if you want to have a good outcome and a happy class room.

New Style of teaching

Using technology to enhance student learning

Classroom learning vs. Lab

I must say the biggest problem lm having is teaching materal in the classroom. I'm a new carpentry teacher at a Progressive technical school about six months. I myself and my students are for the most part hands on learners in the lab is where we shine. I'm also introducing techniques that I have learned here which help I'm looking for ideas that will help me have those A-ha moments in the classroom. I'm enjoying this new path in my career and would like to convey as much information to the students as possible.

cell phone

How to avoid cell phone usage in the class room/

Considerations for Specific Lab Environments and Safety | Origin: ED206

Teaching in the Lab and Shop Environment --> Considerations for Specific Lab Environments and Safety

Evaluating Student Progress | Origin: ED206

Teaching in the Lab and Shop Environment --> Evaluating Student Progress