Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Planning for Active Learning | Origin: ED111R

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Active Learning Methods --> Planning for Active Learning

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Active learning is a better approach to teaching.  Students retain more when actively using and manipulating information.  In nursing case studies and simulations are used help students learn how to make decisions about important client manifestations, how to prioritize and delegate care.  

I intend to develop and apply more learning activities into the class.

I am really enjoying and benefitting from taking this class ED111R.  I have clearly not done an effective job implementing active learning (when all along I was thinking I was 'on track' and fully implementing this!).  The course has taught me to be much more intentional.  I really appreciate the format in how you have laid out this online learning.  One of  the better courses I have taken as part of MaxKnowledge.

I' hoping to create better active learning strategies than I have.

It was a good reminder on the importance of techniques to keep students interested on the topic.  Interested students are more likely to learn and retain information.

I'm hoping to add more active learning startaegies to my courses.  Students get more excited about thir learning when they are actively involved in activities and working with their classmates.

To implement active learning strategies in physics, I think, small group discussions, games, case studies, simulations, videos, lab equipments, among a few more might come very handy. Can't wait to see some examples of a class setting in the following modules.

True interaction requires that students contribute to the story of the lesson in order for it to move forward. If students input does not move the lessonforward, then it is not interactive. 

You have to be creative for every topic to be able to implement an active learning environment. 

It is important to make sure the students clearly understand how they will be evaluated before the activity begins

Active learning is student-centered and requires clear statements of expectations.  It engages a students critical thinking and analysis skills and is a markedly more effective strategy for learning.

Dana Redmond

There are specific times for instruction only learning, such as if you need to teach about specific names, dates, etc. Active learning produces a more solid learning process for the adult learner.

Active learning strategies best approach to teaching especially to improve analaitical and critical thining skills.

When planning active learning, you must considerwho will perform the activity, what actions they will take in what activity, what resources are available to them, how much time they will have to do it, and the specifications of the final product. Active learning uses both analytical and critical thinking.

Critical and analytical thinking exercises can keep the students engaged and participating in class while learning the information. 

I have learned that application for critical and analytical thinking exercises are important for active learning and student engagement.

Active learning is definitely something I'm looking forward to integrating into my courses further. I've lectured, and I'm ready to expand my teaching repetoire and engage my students more in the process.

The list of active learning strategies was informative, particularly the activities section. I'd like to integrate more cooperative learning into my courses.

I love how they provided examples of critical/analytical thinking exercises:  conducting comparisons, diagnosing, evaluating, classifying, prioritizing, strategic planning, simplifying and paraphrasing.  These are essential activities for a nurse!!  But when all you hear is "critical thinking...critical thinking" you don't know what that means EXACTLY.  Thank you for this!!!

Sign In to comment