Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Ask a question from your peers to help you in your professional work. Seek different points of view on a topic that interests you. Start a thought-provoking conversation about a hot, current topic. Encourage your peers to join you in the discussion, and feel free to facilitate the discussion. As a community of educators, all members of the Career Ed Lounge are empowered to act as a discussion facilitator to help us all learn from each other.

Starting a class

Hello,

My name is Gennalyn. I am a beginner instructor and I would like to hear your instructional style, and how do you begin your theory class?

ED125

Some of the questions are worded vague

questions

what is a recommended wait-time during in-class instruction in disage . . . .

How can motivation serve as a vehicle for the acquisition of knew knowledge in your class room?

You can look at motivation that is positive in creating a non-toxic learning environment where all the learning resources (both material and human ) are provided for successful outcomes and against negative motivation,  where the student is left to be a master of his or her own fate.

video questions

It seems unfair that the video questions do not have rationales to provide an understanding of why certain answers are correct/wrong; all answered questions should have a rationale within all courses, which many stated the need of rationales, debriefing, or reflection content for students that instructors should provide; whatever courses encourage or teach for instructors, it should reflect of what instructors should provide to students

Easing tension on 1st day

What best practices as Instructors can we give to students to ease their anxiety on first day of class/session?

Professionalism

What are the important things to remember to be a good teaching professional?

Modeling, Managing and Motivating...

Are they enough or can you include more?

Technology

How do you answer a student when they tell you they have contacted IT and still haven't gotten a fix or response?

Writing agenda on the board

I realized that additional to giving students the syllabus and talking about it, it has helped me tramendously to write an agenda on the board on things that will be done/talked about today. It has helped me stay in order.

I was wondering if someone could share an experience when they did not write the agenda but were still able to follow an order. DOes it work better for you to follow the syllabus instead? Or to write it down in your own paper?

Learning Environment

What are some actions instructors can take to better facilitate a more calming learning environment?

Motivation

What is the best method to motivate students?

Pygmalion method

What would be the best way to Pygmalion method?

great class

really good class

Group Work

What would be the best way to incorporate group work into a lecture?

This was an excellent lesson and I learned a lot! Now I want to know more about teaching high functioning young adult learners, motivated to learn.

I would like to build on what I've learned here. I will be teaching intellectually gifted students who come to us with a high level of motivation to learn.  My desire is to inspire them and not let them down.  This may have been the best Max Knowledge course I have taken, genuinely enjoyed it and learned a great deal!

Group Work

I see that the recommended number of people to a group is 6 to 8.  What if you have a really small group of students for the class?  In one of my classes, there are only 6 students. Does it make sense to group them to a smaller groups?

Best Practices and Tips for Questioning in the Classroom | Origin: ED114

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Best Practices and Tips for Questioning in the Classroom --> Questioning in the Classroom

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Types of Questions to Ask in the Classroom | Origin: ED114

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Types of Questions to Ask in the Classroom --> Questioning in the Classroom

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

Discussion

Good istructional material that I can apply to the claasroom settin.

Gestering

Apart from nervous movement can gestering become a distraction?