Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Considerations for Specific Lab Environments and Safety | Origin: ED206

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Teaching in the Lab and Shop Environment --> Considerations for Specific Lab Environments and Safety

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

It is important to keep safety as part of the everyday running of the lab. 

Safety is very important every lab session. Therefore, personal protective equipment (PPE) should be used at all times in the lab when dealing with hazardous materials. 

Not only the importance of safety but also the importantance of documentation of safety training.  If an unfortunate event should happen in your lab, it is very important to be able to show why it happened.  Very important to keep all documentation of safety quizes, briefings, etc.  

Safety always comes first in a lab or work shop setting.

Safety is a must

I have always given the guidelines for safety in my lab but did not think about making sure that I had documentation other than my syllabus for the proof of their knowledge.  I may add a safety quiz to my courses.

There are baseline expectations in VA for workplace skill training in colleges, such as computer skills, system thinking, total quality and statistics, economic analysis, and HR skills.

This module also made me aware that besides encouraging and facilitating safety in the lab environment, it is also very important to have proper documentation of these efforts in the event of an accident. Attendance records, safety quizzes, and even written agreements signed by students stating that they have reviewed and agree to the safety guidelines of that specific learning environment. 

It is imperative that an instructor communicate safety protocol as well as polices each time a classroom/shop  is meeting to prevent liabilites/lawsuits from occurring. 

Written examination on safety is essential for proof of knowledge just to be on the safe side.

Ann Nelson 

It is important for faculty to document students have been provided safety instructions and that safety is reinforced to protect themselves from being sued.

Safety instruction needs to be revised in this age of technology and shorter attention spans. The priciples have not changed but our delivery, evaluation and documentation need to be considered.

Produced safety videos with demonstration and access controlled assessments allow for asyncronous learning and self pacing.

Reteaching, when there is a breech of safety protocols, is a neccessity and can be done easily with the same technology. an additional benefit is that the evaluation tools can be integrated, which also documents the student's progress and participation 

Safety is talked about on a daily basis.  We have a ladder safety quiz for the students already in place, but I will implement a general safety quiz in the near future.  The documentation is important, that was an eye opener for me. 

We also have the student take OSHA 10 later in the program, but my class is before they are able to take OSHA.  So the need for documentation is essential.

Safety is an important part of any job.  The teachers job is to set guidelines from the very beginning on what is appropriate and what is not both in the class and in the real world.  Although all jobs are different, a general layout for safety is given as well as common sense.  As the job changes and new things are introduced it is important for the teacher to grow as well as the students so everyone stays safe.  

Safety is a must and has to be practiced over and over or it gets lost and accidents happen. 

This section has made me more aware of  how important it is to have documented evidence of safety instruction and guidelines outside of that listed on the syllabus.  It reinforces to me the importance of incorporating a safety quiz on top of discussing safety issues during each lab.

in running a welding lab safety is key to our sucess zero injuries is the only acceptable outcome. 

Safety first every day is a great motto!!

I need to post some safety rules in the greenhouse, not only for my students who learn the rules but for everyone entering the greenhouse to see that we have rules of safety we follow. I have not had many visitors lately due to Covid but we intend to have plant sales again and this is a good reminder of how important safety is in the classroom, lab or shop.

While safety is very important, communication and instruction about safety is also important, and above all else, appropriate safety modeling by the insructor is most important. Safety guidelines should be observed strictly and should be posted.

I learned a lot from this module, specifically the teaching strategies and safety guidelines. I look forward to incorporating small written tests regarding lab work and equipment safety guidelines. I think giving students a safety quiz acknowledging they understand the equipment and its protocol would be valuable as both documentation and reinforcing safety procedure in students' activities.

Sign In to comment