Public
Activity Feed Discussions Blogs Bookmarks Files

Making Your Course Accessible | Origin: EL111

This is a general discussion forum for the following learning topic:

Assistive Technologies for the Online Learner --> Making Your Course Accessible

Post what you've learned about this topic and how you intend to apply it. Feel free to post questions and comments too.

As someone who is familiar with the Deaf community, I know how important it is for students to have access to closed captioning or subtitles to video.  I had not known Camtasia has CC.  I LOVE that there are now many ways to include CC when making Yuja or Camtasia videos for online classes.  These things are getting easier to use.  Though the captioning is not always accurate, it is better than ignoring the need to meet students where they are.  I intend to use it more for online content.

I have also been grateful to have help from the Accessibility Tech folks.  They know many alternate ways of addressing a need.  I keep learning from them.  

Overall, I think the best thing that we can do for our students is to have an open door and welcoming attitude.

Learning about Media access Generator - MAGpie- for closed capturing was helpful. 

I am for instructors assisting with course design but I think that should be left up to the department chairs. I do like the idea that instructors have the right to edit a course. I don't think it should be left up to the instuctor to implement course design for students with diabilites, if the institution did not do so.

I found interesing the different ways in which to make a course more accessible, for instance; add an ALT text tag for an image, chart, photo or visual elements.

The seven principles, gives me a perimeter as a instructor and i appreciate that there are many ways to implement teaching, as many different styles exist.

I agree with Helen course design should be left to the dept. chairs with input from the instructors.

All video and live meetings must be captioned. This is so everyone can access the material in different ways and be in accordance with section 504.

Wow, just, WOW. I knew thjat there was alot to do when it came to course set up, but with disabled students, I am not sure that 40 hours a week are enough. Having all of the information pre-assembled in the correct styles and formats is the only way to go. Prepae, prepare, prepare.

I am happy to see how much help and resources are there for disabled students. While sometimes it may be time consuming and costly, we can not ignore the fact that students have the desire and are eager to learn. this course has provided me with many resources to ensure that our students can have access to learning and be welcomed in a non threatening accessible environment.

I agree course design should be left to the dept. chairs with input from the instructors

SETH SORONNADI

THAT "All course content must have equivalent alternatives to auditory and visual content." I PLANNED ON USING IT

I learned that Media Access Generator is a great software for closed captioning. 

There are good resourses for preparing for a online class.  I did not know there was way to check color for someone who has colorblindness.

The ALT Text function in Word is something I was not aware and have never used.  I will give it a try in my documents.

Alternative text (alt text) allows screen readers to capture the description of an object and read it aloud, providing aid for those with visual impairments. 

I've often spent 12–20 hours on my 2-3 page syllabi, making it as concise and clear as possible, but only now have I realized that color-coding, which I've used often, doesn't help everyone...

I appreciate the guidelines for instructors, especially avoiding sarcasm.

I learned that I must add closed captioning on any video or podcast that I use in my online course; I became aware of closed captioning software such as Media Acess Generator (MAGpie) or Annotation Edit, that can add subtitles to any video or podcast.

Univeral Design may not work for every online course component or for every online student with a disability.  We need to build important guidelines for ourself to follow.

Sign In to comment